Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Pilot and Im confused about replacing the transfer fluid, transmission fluid, and the differential fluid.

Everytime if I’m gonna replace the transfer fluid, I have to replace the transmission fluid or the differential fluid with it?

Do the transfer and transmission use the same fluid?

Is it the same mileage to replace the transfer fluid like the transmission fluid?

Thank you!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2015 Pilot and Im confused about replacing the transfer fluid, transmission fluid, and the differential fluid.

Everytime if I’m gonna replace the transfer fluid, I have to replace the transmission fluid or the differential fluid with it?

Do the transfer and transmission use the same fluid?

Is it the same mileage to replace the transfer fluid like the transmission fluid?

Thank you!
Change transmission (Honda ATF DW-l) transfer fluid(HYPOID GEAR OIL API GL4 or GL5 SAE75W-85, SAE90 CAN BE USED) together. The rear Diff fluid (Honda VTM-4) has a different interval to change it. All 3 are different fluids.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MisterIvan

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
just to add to what BYUFAN said also invest in a good transfer pump it will make your life a lot easier

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
Since you have a 2006+ Pilot the Maintenance Minder system tells you when the fluids need to be replaced. Look in the 2005 Pilot maintenance guide for rough timeframes, noting that the 2005 Pilot tranny shared fluid with the transfer case so changing its transfer case fluid is not listed. That changed in 2006+ and as mentioned above the transfer case uses gear oil.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
To add to that I’m paranoid about the tranny mainly so I 1x drain and fill it once every 15k miles which is more often than the 2005 maintenance guide (and likely the 2006+ Maintenance Minder) states. To keep things on track I also replace the rear differential fluid when I change the tranny fluid.

Reactions: Farnsrocket

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harbor freight has some decent fluid transfer pumps. I use one for the rear diff and a smaller one for the transfer case. They are cheap enough and you don't have to worry about contamination between the two fluids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts