Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as it’s GL5 is 75/90 ok. Spec is for 75/85. I don’t imagine it being a problem but just wanted some insight

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts
¯\(ツ)/¯ Meh, anything betwen 75 and 90 GL-5, I figured, so the cheap bastard in me won that round and I wasn't about to spend 300% more on hypoid gear oil, and so I just went with Walmart's soup-du-jour special that day.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/11/full-80076-14898-image_2.jpeg

Hey, at least I changed it out, which I'm guessing is more than a majority of Pilot owners do, the fine, conscientious folks on this forum notwithstanding. :)

As far as I can tell 4 years later, the gears in my front transfer case haven't ground to a halt yet. They're still blissfully spinning and swimming in that discount goo.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I grabbed M1 synthetic 75w90. The only 75x85 on the shelves around here are not synthetic. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
But the writer of that article promises they didn't get paid by Redline...
I prefer OTC solutions for all of my car care products. The only area where I flex on that is Aquapel and Opti-Seal.
O'Reilly auto stores have Red Line 75W85 gear oil available OTC.
Unless, of course, you're in some backwater location that doesn't have one of their stores nearby.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/locations

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
¯\(ツ)/¯ Meh, anything betwen 75 and 90 GL-5, I figured, so the cheap bastard in me won that round and I wasn't about to spend 300% more on hypoid gear oil, and so I just went with Walmart's soup-du-jour special that day.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/11/full-80076-14898-image_2.jpeg

Hey, at least I changed it out, which I'm guessing is more than a majority of Pilot owners do, the fine, conscientious folks on this forum notwithstanding. :)

As far as I can tell 4 years later, the gears in my front transfer case haven't ground to a halt yet. They're still blissfully spinning and swimming in that discount goo.
I also got the discount schmoo. Super tech however is a good brand. Been around nearly 80 years and more importantly has the api accreditation.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
A GM dealer, perhaps?

Or, as a last resort:

I trust factory backed lubricants as far as I can throw them. And anything that has the word FIAT on it is doomed for catastrophic failure.

You had a lot more in the transmission thread, are there really that few 75w85s out there? No Wolf's Head or Sheep's Blood or Nail Grease or anything like that?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I trust factory backed lubricants as far as I can throw them.
You had a lot more in the transmission thread, are there really that few 75w85s out there? No Wolf's Head or Sheep's Blood or Nail Grease or anything like that?
There were a few other brands of 75W-85 available - but only in the "giant economy" size, not in quart bottles for retail sale.
DIYers are either getting the OEM fluid from the dealer or, more likely, simply using 75W-90.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
There were a few other brands of 75W-85 available - but only in the "giant economy" size, not in quart bottles for retail sale.
DIYers are either getting the OEM fluid from the dealer or, more likely, simply using 75W-90.
I fall with the latter. Thankfully transfer cases and rear diffs (well, those that don't require VTM-4 or dual pump fluid...) seem to care very little about whether they get 75w85 or 75w90.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I fall with the latter. Thankfully transfer cases and rear diffs (well, those that don't require VTM-4 or dual pump fluid...) seem to care very little about whether they get 75w85 or 75w90.
Here's a version of 75W-90 for the Pilot owner from a socially prominent family:
Liquid Plastic bottle Household cleaning supply Automotive cleaning Drain cleaner

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts