Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 140,000 changed trans fluid using genuine Honda fluid, aftermarket filter and a bottle of Lucas trans additive. Not one shudder over 6000 miles later.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
At 140,000 changed trans fluid using genuine Honda fluid, aftermarket filter and a bottle of Lucas trans additive. Not one shudder over 6000 miles later.
I'd start using Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife ATF as soon as possible. It's a thinner fluid and will flo much better through the filter that Honda, in all their infinite wisdom, made impossible to change without pulling the transmission apart from the engine.

Reactions: STMech and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
I thought people say only use Honda Genuine fluids? Will Lucas harm the engine and does it really help the transmission?
Many people do recommend using Honda DW-1 fluid. It could just be your fluid is old and changing the fluid out will solve the shudder.
Others have had success switching to Valvoline. It’s your choice and neither is a bad one. You’ve made it 140,000 miles using DW-1....so obviously it’s been doing what it’s supposed to do.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I thought people say only use Honda Genuine fluids? Will Lucas harm the engine and does it really help the transmission?
In your 2011 5-speed, I wouldn't think twice about switching to another transmission fluid that is full synthetic. I'm using Valvoline MaxLife ATF in two 5-speeds and my transmissions have benefited greatly with the thinner fluid. Including it's ability to run cooler.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot, original owner
37 Posts
For our 2011 Honda Pilot, if I notice consistent slight shudder when it is shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, I just do an ATF change. Drain the old fluid. Wipe off any metallic dust from the drain plug. Reinstall. Then 3.5qts of fresh Honda DW-1. Shudder gone after the fluid change, until 20k to 30k miles later.

So far I changed the ATF when I feel shudder when it is shifting between 2nd and 3rd, and not by following any set number of miles. Have done so (felt shifting shudder) at mileages of:

40k was the first time I ever changed the ATF, and it took me a while to figure out an ATF change was the thing to do (it was the first ever automatic transmission car I had owned). It had been doing shuddering shifting from 2nd to 3rd for a while, unfortunately, and I likely should have done an ATF change sooner, like 20k or so miles : |

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF with Just over 100k miles on my Crosstour (warranty over). Really didn't expect to keep the vehicle as long as we had. We normally trade. They stopped making Crosstours in 2015, so I couldn't trade for another, so, we kept the 2012, doing the maintenance. That includes D&Fs with VML ATF. After being on this forum, learning about the un-servicable ATF filter, and all the shifting issues others have had staying on DW-1 factory fluid, this vehicle being at 272k miles now I doubt seriously could have been achieved without 30k mile ATF changes using VML to prevent transmission failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF with Just over 100k miles on my Crosstour (warranty over). Really didn't expect to keep the vehicle as long as we had. We normally trade. They stopped making Crosstours in 2015, so I couldn't trade for another, so, we kept the 2012, doing the maintenance. That includes D&Fs with VML ATF. After being on this forum, learning about the un-servicable ATF filter, and all the shifting issues others have had staying on DW-1 factory fluid, this vehicle being at 272k miles now I doubt seriously could have been achieved without 30k mile ATF changes using VML to prevent transmission failure.
Interesting suggestion.

So far the ATF and engine coolant I use is Honda, as they made a "big deal" to only use genuine Honda products for those two items. To give Honda kudos: so far all I've had to replace has been normal stuff that wears out (brake pads, 1 set of front rotors, 1 set of rear shocks, fluids, tires, car batteries, headlight bulbs, etc).

For those non-ATF and non-coolant items, I just order from my local auto parts vendor, with success, so far (Kragen/O'Reilly).

At 10yrs old, it's been a turn-the-key-and-go reliable car for My Little Family, so far.

Now what Piloteers articles mention, is when I do the timing belt replacement (and also replace all related pulleys, water pump, etc), is also get a kit with specific manufacturers for those parts, so I will do that.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Interesting suggestion.

So far the ATF and engine coolant I use is Honda, as they made a "big deal" to only use genuine Honda products for those two items. To give Honda kudos: so far all I've had to replace has been normal stuff that wears out (brake pads, 1 set of front rotors, 1 set of rear shocks, fluids, tires, car batteries, headlight bulbs, etc).

For those non-ATF and non-coolant items, I just order from my local auto parts vendor, with success, so far (Kragen/O'Reilly).

At 10yrs old, it's been a turn-the-key-and-go reliable car for My Little Family, so far.

Now what Piloteers articles mention, is when I do the timing belt replacement (and also replace all related pulleys, water pump, etc), is also get a kit with specific manufacturers for those parts, so I will do that.
There are a large number of Piloteers (most who DIY) that have made the switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF years ago. Millions of miles logged using this product, and simply, it does what it says on the back of the bottle. The other bonuses are it's Full Synthetic, where DW-1 is not, and the price is much lower ($17.97 per 1gal at Wal-Mart).
Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF or DW-1? POLL

I've got nothing negative to say about the quality of Honda 50/50 blue coolant other than the fact that its 50/50. It makes it inconvenient to use when doing a complete flush. There are several aftermarket 50/50 Asian blue coolants on the market that others have used with no issues. I've been mixing my own coolant using Prestone Multi Vehicle Concentrate for years with no ill effects. It's around $9.00 a bottle at Wal-Mart and I'm not paying double+ for a bottle half filled with water. Distilled is 99¢ a gal at the grocery store (Ya I'm a rebel on this).

Honda Power Steering fluid is the only fluid I still use OEM. It works.

The number 1 rated timing belt water pump kit that most DIYers use is Aisin (TKH002). I've installed more than I can remember and not one has ever failed. This kit contains OEM supplier parts. RockAuto has a great price on it and you can be sure your getting an authentic kit.
The Best Timing Belt Water Pump Kit (POLL)

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found out my local Kragen/O'Reilly sells it!

It's about US$30 for 1gallon, according to their website. I also read the mfg spec sheet, that clearly shows it is a replacement for DW-1.

So, am going to try the Valvoline MaxLife "muti-vehicle atf" when I do my next transmission fluid change!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did an ATF change today. Our 2011 Honda Pilot had 122.7k miles on the odometer.

Used the Valvoline MaxLife "multi-vehicle" full synthetic ATF. 3.5qts. Did a test drive, transmission shudder from 2nd to 3rd, eliminated (, just like when I use Honda DW-1).

So, "so far, so good."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts