Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After diagnosing a suspension/alignment issue yesterday, I changed the trans fluid. ‘08 EX with 145k miles. I ran it through the gears while it was sitting in the garage and there is a clunk sound and movement (that was there before the fluid change) when shifting into drive to reverse and vise versa, which I don’t find too concerning but I did notice that the engine/trans moves a bit when the clink happens. Enough to stand out to me. I’m unfamiliar with if this is in the range of acceptable or not. Maybe a bad motor mount? Is there a bigger problem having to do with that shifting noise?

I took a video of it.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
To test engine mounts, hold your left foot firmly on the brake pedal (dont release), shift in to drive and rev engine a bit with right foot a couple of 3 times. This test the front mount. We're trying to see if the engine raises up excessively. Same can be done in reverse to test rear mount.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,258 Posts
Seems pronounced enough to warrant replacing motor mounts.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
The engine is definitely not as firm if it was new. Just wanted to see if the engine would try to jump out of the vehicle. :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
You need to rev the engine a bit with the brake on and see if the engine lifts up. Right now, based on what you show, I would not get in there and replace.

·
Registered
2008 EX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll definitely do the foot in the brake, rev the engine test. If it ends up that the mounts aren’t bad, how about that clunk sound? Is it in the realm of acceptable or normal? Honestly this is my only me second automatic transmission if owned so I’m not that familiar. The last one was a shitty Buick statin wagon almost 20 years ago.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Might see if this video on shift linkage could be of any use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts