Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To change or not to change. Got the car at 80k. Started towing a 3000 lb camper at 100,000k So every fall I pull out a little over 2 qts, then add 2 qts new Honda fluid, plus a bottle of Lucas trans treatment. 132,000k on it now with no issues.. The myth says not to change it all at once,....it will CAUSE problems. Some mechanics say that is an old wives tale. Opinions?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Many people on here actually use the less expensive Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Just under $18/gallon at Wally World.

Usually when you do a drain you should get between 3 and 4 qts out.
Agree D&F with intervals inbetween. If it needs it, make them really short intervals. After 3 of them, then go longer, opinions/facts here vary some on that interval.

Reactions: Jake Blackfeather

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
To change or not to change. Got the car at 80k. Started towing a 3000 lb camper at 100,000k So every fall I pull out a little over 2 qts, then add 2 qts new Honda fluid, plus a bottle of Lucas trans treatment. 132,000k on it now with no issues.. The myth says not to change it all at once,....it will CAUSE problems. Some mechanics say that is an old wives tale. Opinions?
Drain and fills close together is not a problem.
I don't know anything about Lucas trans treatment. But I'd be interested in your experiences. What I do know is Honda DW-1 is more susceptible to loosing its properties due to heat. I assume you have a transmission cooler installed, but if your vehicle were mine I'd be doing drain and fills with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.

Reactions: Jake Blackfeather

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Even if you let the transmission fluid fully drain, only about 40% of the fluid (slightly under 4 qts) will come out, so you're never able to change it all at once.
What Honda refers to as a transmission fluid "flush" (to "completely" change the fluid) is a sequence of four drain/refill cycles, each separated by some operation of the transmission (or driving).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The available D&F capacity is only about 1/3 of total trans capacity. Rather than your one or two quarts, do a (almost...) gallon at a time, with some drive time in between. This is my first Honda with four wheels. Considering the recent Honda history with transmissions, I do a trans D&F with almost every oil change starting around 20k. The oil interval for me is when the MM shows 50% remaining life, or max one year. I plan to have the car at 250k without going into either the engine or gearbox, so my schedule may be a little more aggressive than most.

It's due for coolant and PS fluid swap in the next year, brake fluid flush with the next oil change. That will likely be in the next few weeks -- coming on the year but still showing 60% oil life on the MM.

Topped up the air in the tires (used premium German air...), added almost a gallon of washer fluid to the reservoir, loaded the tire-chains, tow strap, scrapers and snow shovel this week, swapped in the cold-weather survival gear too.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Opinion? If you are towing with the vehicle you should be following the severe service schedule and changing transmission fluid and differential fluid every 15K.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot
2 Posts
I have a Silly question, I have few quarts left of tranny fluids from my old Acura, Can I use it on my 2013 Honda Pilot? Thx!! Material property Advertising

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Reactions: The Todd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts