Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tranmission fluild leak

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
I'm trying to identify this slow leak of what seems to be AT fluid.
The area around this hose on the driver side seems to be the culprit but I didn't think there was any transmission fluid lines going to the front radiator area. This is a 2003 Pilot.
It's the smaller hose on the right.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm trying to identify this slow leak of what seems to be AT fluid.
The area around this hose on the driver side seems to be the culprit but I didn't think there was any transmission fluid lines going to the front radiator area. This is a 2003 Pilot.
It's the smaller hose on the right
Common ATF leak issue on first gen due to age, rust or hose failure. Best to get this repaired before the ATF leaks at a higher rate. The rubber hoses/clamps can be replaced as long as the metal tube is not rusted. The ATF enters the bottom of the radiator separate from coolant to keep the temps under control. If the radiator has never been replaced I'd strongly recommend a replacement due to age and history of radiator failures and/or mixture of the two fluids.

#7 ·
If the radiator has never been replaced I'd strongly recommend a replacement due to age and history of radiator failures and/or mixture of the two fluids.
Please heed this advice. From what I've seen, the transmission cooler fittings on the radiator can rust/corrode from the inside out, meaning a visual check of these fittings is NOT assurance they are fine.

I'll also echo @plplplpl suggestion for AT-205 if you still find leaks after you confirm the fittings and lines are in good condition.

--Chris N.

#3 · (Edited)
appreciate the response. Trying to find the part number for that hose and I can't seem to find it.

The transmission has some slippage which went away with drain and fills for about 1 year, now it came back - but suspect it's due to low fluid.
I'm about to do the transmission filter, but will probably hold off on radiator as it's a back up car and trying to not put too much into it unless necessary.

part 15? - when i look online it's a straight hose, whereas the one on the car seems molded.
Font Schematic Engineering Auto part Parallel

#6 ·
I concur it’s #15 on the diagram. It looks molded and not straight in your photo.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I'll take a look for sure but it is a backup car and has been a lifetime AZ car, so rust is less of a concern.
I got the part above, but it definitely is not the right part.
It's possible I'm understanding it wrong but the above diagram, seems they switched part 13 and 15.
I ordered part 15 and got a short straight tube. When looking at the car, part 13 is a straight short tube that connects to the piping that goes across the radiator.
I ended up ordering part 13 - 25212-PGK-010 as well now and will wait to replace once I get it.

Plastic Plastic wrap Packing materials Transparency Staple food

#11 ·
I got the part above, but it definitely is not the right part.
It's possible I'm understanding it wrong but the above diagram, seems they switched part 13 and 15.
I ordered part 15 and got a short straight tube. When looking at the car, part 13 is a straight short tube that connects to the piping that goes across the radiator.
I ended up ordering part 13 - 25212-PGK-010 as well now and will wait to replace once I get it
On my 2004 this is what the metal pipe looks like. Over-priced metal tubing. Next time I’ll make my own. Blue Black Line Aircraft Rolling

#9 ·
Any chance they sent you #14?

Another failure point is the pipe joint/nipple into the radiator, seen a case where it popped out of the radiator, losing all transmission fluid, happened probably due to dissimilar metals (galvanic) used between that joint and radiator. In that case, you have to change radiator.

#17 · (Edited)
I’d definitely give that hose a second look. It doesn’t appear to be seated properly and the clamp does appear to have been moved at some time. If you look closely I added two red arrows to your photo.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Fender

Reactions: plplplpl
#18 ·
I’d definitely give that hose a second look. It doesn’t appear to be seated properly and the clamp doesn’t appear to have been moved at some time. If you look closely I added two red arrows to your photo.

View attachment 167367
I tried to seat it better and can keep trying but based on the photo, it’s coming from the nipple connection rather than the hose. I already ordered the denso radiator :)

#23 ·
I’d return it. If you install it then it leaks you’re out time and money.

Reactions: aggrex
#24 · (Edited)
Some (not all) delivery guys seem to have undergone their training at Airport Baggage Handler School.

Return it while you can. Rockauto, for one, is somewhat forgiving if you return within their 30-day window. After that, not so much.

Amazon, either way and for better or for worse, is more like the honey badger. [NSFW] :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.