Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pull my quad on a trailer which is about a combined weight on 560 punds..do you think it is reall y necessary to install the tranny cooler and steering fluid cooler?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
joepilot said:
I want to pull my quad on a trailer which is about a combined weight on 560 punds..do you think it is reall y necessary to install the tranny cooler and steering fluid cooler?

Thanks in advance
Honda says yes.
Lots of people will say no.
Lots of people will not pay the repair if you have a problem under warranty.

Does not seem like much of a load, The old Odyssey/MDX rating was 1500LB without coolers and 3500/4500 with coolers.

That was removed from the Odyssey and MDX literature before the Pilot was even for sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before i had the pilot i had a jeepp grand cherokee and had the same set-up. Ithad 40 horses less. No oil coolers of any kind..but that was a lease

I actually OWN this baby...i mean it comes to like 16oo bucks for the complete set-up. i could see if you are towing a boat or something that large.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Get the kit from Tim;

Put it on yourself, or invite over some "car handy" friends to put it in.

Hitch is a 1 or 2 six-pack job, Coolers can't run over a case.

Less if you offer up some pizza and big screen time afterwards.

And, while that bumpers off there is no reson you can't put in the fog lights! :2:

P.S. Scientific study has shown that while the beer can be offered before the job is complete, delivery should be timed with the last bolt (or slightly after). (Don't ask how I know)

:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm only going to use the hitch for a bike rack. Honda told me it wasn't required to have the whole package, but that it was also up to the dealer I took the vehicle to if there was an enine problem under warranty to make the determination whether the problem could have been caused by me towing something I wasn't supposed to tow. It could come down to a "He said" "She said" thing so we are getting the whole package. Then if a dealership wants to say I blew out the transmission by pulling a mythical boat, so be it. I'll have the coolers and take my new transmission and my bikes and be on my way. For me it was an insurance policy for my warranty.

But the whole package didn't cost me anywhere near $1600....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so wait till the last bolt eh? LOL thats great!! i DO understand the logic there..

How much didi it costs you? I am going by the web site prices?

·
Registered
461 Posts
$864 installed for me. We are definately not do it yourselfers. I wanted it installed at the time of purchase so it would be covered under 3 yr/36,000 warranty if something should happen. This way it is on there from the day we drove the car home to guard against any possibility that any engine trouble wouldn't be covered. And also guards against something going wrong with one of the engine coolers at 35,000 miles and having to pay for the repair. We may have gone overboard with worrying about the warranty, but for me, that is an important piece of the package.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Went with the Hitch Only

I have nothing to tow, but I need the hitch for my bike carrier. I ordered the hitch (without coolers) from Tim, and installed it myself. Tim's listing even mentions the hitch alone is ideal for hauling bikes. I did not install the coolers or the trailer light wiring harness.

If drive chain warranty ever becomes an issue, I have a copy printed from Tim's web page stating the hitch alone is good for a bike rack. In addition, I would argue that the lack of wiring means I couldn't have towed without breaking the law.

It would be overkill to install coolers when I don't own a trailer of any kind, but I would spend the money to get the coolers if I ever had a need to tow.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
joepilot said:
so wait till the last bolt eh? LOL thats great!! i DO understand the logic there..

How much didi it costs you? I am going by the web site prices?
Well you see there is this 30 foot long oil stain on the street around the corner from my mom's house.

Seems we opened the beer before we double checked the drain plug on my Celica's engine Oops :eek: :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts