Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the oem trailer harness 08L91-TG7-101 and oem trailer hitch, and got everything installed, however when checking the harness, everything works except brake lights. Blinkers work fine (which is the same pin). Brakes work fine on the 2016 Honda pilot touring this is installed on. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did you get all the fuses installed?

Instructions say:
33. Plug the two 20A blade fuses and the 30A block fuse into the sub fuse box.

Reactions: Sleepwalker65

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, installed the fuses and had my wife help me test the brakes (before was using my 10 y/o daughter). Looks like it is working correctly and it was the trailer that was the problem. Have yet to hook it up to another trailer to find out for certain... Fingers crossed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, installed the fuses and had my wife help me test the brakes (before was using my 10 y/o daughter). Looks like it is working correctly and it was the trailer that was the problem. Have yet to hook it up to another trailer to find out for certain... Fingers crossed
FYI-I have the same harness for my 2017 Pilot, found out today that I have no AuxiliaryPower, (#3-Top Left on vehicle plug). I don't know if it ever did work, wires are small gauge. Should you tow a RV trailer that has a battery, you need this to charge the battery while traveling. The #3 should have power while vehicle is running. Still waiting to hear back from manufacture as to why there is no power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am buying a 2020 EX-L and will have the OEM wiring done by the dealer. Please keep us informed as to the problems you had with the wiring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I bought the oem trailer harness 08L91-TG7-101 and oem trailer hitch, and got everything installed, however when checking the harness, everything works except brake lights. Blinkers work fine (which is the same pin). Brakes work fine on the 2016 Honda pilot touring this is installed on. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?
Do you have a break controller installed? For my 2016, the breaks on the trailer will not engage without a break controller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am buying a 2020 EX-L and will have the OEM wiring done by the dealer. Please keep us informed as to the problems you had with the wiring.
Since you will be having the dealer install the harness, I did my own, bad choice, have them verify that ALL the connectors work. If the dealer can't guarantee that it will work, you might take it to a RV dealer.If you get a brake controller, purchase the harness from the same seller for your vehicle. I said it was #3 when it is actually #4 pin for the auxiliary 12 volt power. 7 Way Diagram - AJ's Truck & Trailer Center . I did go by TWO Honda dealers and asked for a number I could call for support with this and they gave me no answers, one even said that the Honda OEM stuff is really hard to get help with. Since my harness does not have one, I'm going to run my own auxiliary line from the battery back to my plug.You

·
Registered
469 Posts
Since you will be having the dealer install the harness, I did my own, bad choice, have them verify that ALL the connectors work. If the dealer can't guarantee that it will work, you might take it to a RV dealer.If you get a brake controller, purchase the harness from the same seller for your vehicle. I said it was #3 when it is actually #4 pin for the auxiliary 12 volt power. 7 Way Diagram - AJ's Truck & Trailer Center . I did go by TWO Honda dealers and asked for a number I could call for support with this and they gave me no answers, one even said that the Honda OEM stuff is really hard to get help with. Since my harness does not have one, I'm going to run my own auxiliary line from the battery back to my plug.You
Are you sure all the fuses got installed? There is a 30 amp block fuse, and two 20 amp blade fuses that get installed in the engine compartment. Instructions below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you sure all the fuses got installed? There is a 30 amp block fuse, and two 20 amp blade fuses that get installed in the engine compartment. Instructions below.

Yes I did install those fuses. There are only 6 wires going to the 7-way plug. Since I am unable to find a wiring diagram for the plug from Honda, I can't be sure without destroying the plug to see if a wire goes to that pin. No way to trouble shoot it when I don't know where to start. This is what I got back from bernardiparts on Tuesday. BTW, I love Bernardiparts, I understand not knowing all the answers.
Thanks for contacting BernardiParts.com customer service.
My name is Nathan and it will be my pleasure in assisting you today.
I am sorry to inform you that Honda doesn’t provide us with any information who their manufacturers are.
Please check with your local Honda dealer’s service department.

·
Registered
469 Posts
On the 2009, power at the 7-way is only available when the ignition is on, per thread below. But if you are missing a wire, maybe thats the problem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram for the 2017.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is this for a 4,5,6 wire plug? I'm using P/N 08L91-TG7-101 which is a 7-way plug
7-way. Bottom of pages 1+2 show the 7-way hitch connector pins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a break controller installed? For my 2016, the breaks on the trailer will not engage without a break controller.
I got the TG7-101 7 pin installed on my 2016 pilot last month and when I went back to ask where the plug is for the brake controller they tried to tell me it was part of the harness installed in the back. There is a small black box there that wasn’t before but how would that even work?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I got the TG7-101 7 pin installed on my 2016 pilot last month and when I went back to ask where the plug is for the brake controller they tried to tell me it was part of the harness installed in the back. There is a small black box there that wasn’t before but how would that even work?
Go to ETrailer.com. You can get one pre-made to attach to the Pilot/Ridgeline and to your controller make. For the Ridgeline, Honda put that brake harness in the glove box, but that come with the hitch installed from the factory for the AWD. Pilots most likely didn't get it, since the factory didn't install the hitch on the Pilot.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
369 Posts
You should be able to open the split loom and/or back of socket harness to verify if the battery wire is there. The ground wire gets screwed in separate so the connector inside vehicle panel probably only shows 6 wires.Part of my concern would be WHERE the factory battery wire is disconnected so it doesn't contact something else.

I was testing something on mine and maybe part of the system but I didn't have power at the battery pin until the Pilot was actually running, not just ignition on. Probably part of design not to drain the main battery unless charging/running.

I'm making a quick plug with a 7 pin for my Viair compressor so it's easier for wife to hook up when she needs to air up tires at the beach. I was doing a lot of checking since I had no power at that pin and know I installed everything correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go to ETrailer.com. You can get one pre-made to attach to the Pilot/Ridgeline and to your controller make. For the Ridgeline, Honda put that brake harness in the glove box, but that come with the hitch installed from the factory for the AWD. Pilots most likely didn't get it, since the factory didn't install the hitch on the Pilot.
So I’ll have to run it from the back where the hitch wiring is to under the dash is it already under the driver side dash as opposed to the glove box because I got the hitch done after the factory

·
Registered
469 Posts
So I’ll have to run it from the back where the hitch wiring is to under the dash is it already under the driver side dash as opposed to the glove box because I got the hitch done after the factory
No, the controller harness plugs into a connector tucked in above the parking brake pedal. If you have the trailer harness kit installed (trailer lights controller box, fuses,etc), all of the trailer braking wiring should already be installed to the 7-pin connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
7-way. Bottom of pages 1+2 show the 7-way hitch connector pins.
I’m an idiot. What are you suppose to do first? YES, check the fuses. Not me, I went for “the manufacture screwed up”. I want to thank MtMan for the wiring diagram, extremely helpful after he explained it was one diagram not two (my fault) and sequoiasoon for recommending that I open the 7-way connector to verify the wires. After following the diagram to the fuse box, which Honda labeled the 12v Battery 20 amp battery fuse on the fuse cover; I discovered that it was BLOWN. I still have a problem because the fuse is blown but at least I won’t be running a wire that is not needed for 12v. Thank you ALL for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts