Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed a 7 pin trailer wiring harness and brake controller on a 2016 Pilot that doesn't have a factory towing package? I thought I would give it a try by plugging in a trailer wiring harness and a trailer brake controller harness into the connectors/sockets (in the left rear and under the dash) in my Pilot. I get trailer lights and the brake controller powers up but no brake power or charging power at the trailer.
I was hoping the necessary wiring would be there - I thought it would be cheaper for Honda to use a "universal" whole car wire harness rather than 2 separate harnesses. There's even places for the fuses. One of the fuses was actually there.
Am I stuck with running my own wires for trailer brakes and trailer battery charging? Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Are you sure you plugged in everything you need to get power to the brakes? The Honda harness comes with fuses and relays for under the hood and another relay box in the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all the plugs (on the trailer wiring harness and the brake controller harness) are plugged into their respective connectors.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are additional fuses and relays that get added to the fuse box under the hood. Check the Honda harness install instructions. I think you'll need the same fuses and relays even with a universal wiring harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but it's not a Honda harness, it's an after market, Tekonsha, harness. It came with fuses. I put them in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Like viper said, check the fuses. I think theres a 30 amp and a couple 20s. My brake controller doesnt activate until its plugged in to a trailer

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks, but it's not a Honda harness, it's an after market, Tekonsha, harness. It came with fuses. I put them in.
Tekonsha harness should be good. A good place for information on all things towing is etrailer.com They sell all the stuff, and they have lots of DIY videos on how to install it. Check them out for a video on harness install in the 3rd Gen Pilot, I'm pretty sure there is one. You may have missed one of the fuses that needs to be installed in the engine bay.

·
Registered
390 Posts
They have several videos for the tekonsha. I just removed my 4 pin and installed my 7 pin. They both plug right in. They do require a trailer mounting bracket.

My year old 4 pin will be for sale soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts