Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have found it to be extremely helpful. I have a question on pricing for the trailer towing package. I have an 04 EX-L on order and was thinking of adding the tow package. Listed below is the pricing my dealer quoted to me (installed)

Trailer package $621.00
Harness $323.50
Coolers $523.50
Ball $240.00
------------
Total $1708.00

I know that trailer towing has been discussed extensively in the forum however, I don't recall seeing prices for a dealer install of the complete system.

My qestion: This seems extremely expensive to me!?:confused:
What have others paid for a complete tow package installed by the dealer. I am in Sioux Falls, SD and really don't plan to tow much more than a small garden/utility trailer.

This is a great forum!:D
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
41 Posts
when I went to order an 04 asked that the trailer/towing package be included - One itemized quote listed it at 995. When I talked to the dealer on the phone he said I could simply delete it and pay 995 less total, so that's what I think it should cost installed.

You should go talk to the guy who gave you that quote and tell him what an insult it is - I wouldn't buy from that guy now even if he did offer a fair price. Then e-mail the manager of the dealership and let him know why you won't give them any buisness. Why? $240 for a ball? Take a look at hondacuraworld.com - they will sell you the ball for $11.70.

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...&Product_Code=08L92-S10-100P&Category_Code=HP

·
Registered
226 Posts
What a rip

It's an insult. They just want your wallet flattened.

I got mine from Tim and installed it myself, part cost was around $600? coolers $350, hitch and harness $250? I think $995 installed is a reasonable cost, but $1708? Run, don't walk, away from that dealer!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Oh my goodness....I'm speechless...and that doesn't happen often.

Absolutely unbelievable that a dealer would try to get away with that. My towing package, all parts, fully installed was $865. And that wasn't the lowest installed price I've seen here!

I'd cancel the order for the car and go to a different dealer for everything. He is trying to rip you off.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
macpl said:
I am new to this forum and have found it to be extremely helpful. I have a question on pricing for the trailer towing package. I have an 04 EX-L on order and was thinking of adding the tow package. Listed below is the pricing my dealer quoted to me (installed)

Trailer package $621.00
Harness $323.50
Coolers $523.50
Ball $240.00
------------
Total $1708.00

I know that trailer towing has been discussed extensively in the forum however, I don't recall seeing prices for a dealer install of the complete system.

What have others paid for a complete tow package installed by the dealer. I am in Sioux Falls, SD and really don't plan to tow much more than a small garden/utility trailer.

Thanks for any help
As others have so eloquently stated, you are being ripped - but you may also want to reconsider the entire tow package if all you intend to pull is a "small garden/utility trailer". You can purchase the Honda hitch, harness and ball on line from several sources for about $230 and install yourself in less than 2 hours.

Hope you enjoy your new Pilot and welcome to our little community!!!

:)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
macpl said:

Trailer package $621.00
Harness $323.50
Coolers $523.50
Ball $240.00
------------
Total $1708.00

Thanks for any help
You can get the entire Tow Package here for $ 525.40 + shipping. The 2004 package is a little more expensive than the 2003 package. The Tow Package is different between the '03 & '04 models.

Here are the 2004 installation instructions.

They are crazy to quote you that much! Ask them if you have "Sucker" written on your face and if Vaseline & a kiss come with the installation.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
macpl said:
Do you commute from San Francisco to San Diego or are you in Sioux Falls, South Dakota? I suspect there aren't many dealers in your area and that's why they feel they can get away with shameless price gouging. Talk to a district manager and to American Honda. Speak up for us consumers. Join the million mom march... You get the idea.

Isn't it cool how this site empowers consumers, even those in remote areas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the advice.
I think that the sales person I was dealing with may have made an error in his numbers as he didn't seem very sure of the components of the tow pkg. Especially the ball ($240, could it be $24.00). In any case I have decided not to do anything with the tow package as I would rarely (if ever) tow anything. If I do decide I need to pull my small utility trailer I will go the route that some have suggested regarding ordering and installing on my own.

I am in South Dakota and have only one honda dealer to look at in my local (approx 100 mile) area. They have been pretty resonable on other issues and thus my idea that the sales person put together incorrect data.

Thanks again for all the quick responses.:D
This is really a great forum, I can't say enough great things about it !:2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
785.00 retail per honda.com and includes coolers wiring and ball. Installation is extra and is 5 hours. that translates to 1100.00 to 1200.00 depending on shop rates. Some have gotten the pkg dealer installed for less than a grand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lucked out

When I was negotiating, I was interested in the Hitch Mount bike attachment. I told the salesman I was willing to pay the $169.00 quoted on the Honda website. Gave him my offer: $32,700 for EX - L RES, roof rails, roof box short, all weather mats, cargo liner, mudflaps, bike attachment. I insisted that I didn't want any surprises, that everything is included right? The hitch comes with the bike attachment right? Right.

Sure enough, I get a call the next morning........there's a problem, the hitch cost was left out. I obviously pushed back, informed the sales manager that his guy told me the hitch was included (his guy had made a mistake, but I gave him every opportunity to verify his deal with me). To make a long story short I got everything including hitch (no ball) for $32,500. When I went in a couple weeks later to buy a nose mask the guy at the parts counter says "we have your coolers in". Now mind you, since I wanted the hitch for the bike attachment, I wouldn't have been disappointed if they were unwilling to install the coolers, but since they ordered them in, I had them installed and of course the dealer picked up the tab.

:2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Full aftermarket tow package - self install for $311

I couldn't justify the dealer priced package, so purchased all the parts myself and am part way through the install. I bought the following:
- a Drawtite hitch (model DT75124) for $220 CDN (about $160 US). Class III hitch rated for towing 5000 lbs.
- a Drawtite wiring package for the Pilot (model DT18336) for $35 CDN (about $25 US). Plugs in with no splicing needed.
- a Hayden transmission cooler (model 404) for $73 CDN (about $53 US) rated for towing 5000 lbs.
- a Hayden power steering cooler (model 1009) for $43 CDN (about $31 US). This cooler looks far more substantial than the Honda one.

The hitch install took about 30 minutes to bolt on and another 15 minutes to connect the wiring harness.

I haven't done the install of the coolers yet, but it looks like most the time will be spent taking the front of the Pilot apart - hopefully less than 3 hours. I'm not certain if these coolers will mount as easily as the Honda ones, but there appears to be plenty of room.

In total, my after tax cost for the total towing package (except for the ball) is $426 CDN (about $311 US). Depending on the pricing you get from your local parts supplier, you may pay a bit more or less, but I can't see why anyone would consider paying three times as much to have the dealer install similar (if not lesser) parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems like shopping around is the name of the game. Dealer installed tow package 35 miles away $996, next dealer 70 miles away $700. The smaller dealer was higher.
Like others have said, if your handy install a aftermarket unit. Just keep track (weight ) of what your towing and whats loaded in your Pilot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
towing package

My 2004 EXL w/ Nav is scheduled to be delivered to dealer today, I am trying to pick up on Saturday. The dealer will install towing package w/ class III harness, PS cooler and ATF cooler for $721 if done at time of delivery. So I ordered it!:p

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: towing package

klc1923 said:
My 2004 EXL w/ Nav is scheduled to be delivered to dealer today, I am trying to pick up on Saturday. The dealer will install towing package w/ class III harness, PS cooler and ATF cooler for $721 if done at time of delivery. So I ordered it!:p
Was that a bargained down price or their offered price.
It is a very good deal.
Are you getting any other option that require the front bumber off?
If so and they do them at the same time they are saving a lot of labor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
towing package

$721 is the price initial price quoted. She said they would not charge mark ups. I don't know of any other "toys" to add when the bumper is off. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: towing package

klc1923 said:
$721 is the price initial price quoted. She said they would not charge mark ups. I don't know of any other "toys" to add when the bumper is off. What would you recommend?
Fog lights, bumper trim and chrome all need the bumber taken off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tow package

Paid $800.00 on the package in March 2003.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts