Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
518 Posts
I know you said you checked all the fuses. did you pull them out and test with a meter. That one 30A block one I think sends the main power back to the harness area. The 20 amp ones are I think electric brakes and trailer charge 12V.

I installed mine following the attached instructions from College hills and only issue was not having car running when I was trying to verify my 12V charge pin to use for a compressor.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Elite AWD w/Tow Package
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know you said you checked all the fuses. did you pull them out and test with a meter. That one 30A block one I think sends the main power back to the harness area. The 20 amp ones are I think electric brakes and trailer charge 12V.

I installed mine following the attached instructions from College hills and only issue was not having car running when I was trying to verify my 12V charge pin to use for a compressor.
I used a multimeter and checked resistance on the fuses, they all looked good.

So here is the connector on my car. The picture I posted previously had something connected, while it looks like I just have a ground wire. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
That connector is the one on the right of the pic I posted. I have no idea what's plugged into it on your veh, but it's wrong. There should be multiple wires in the connector, not just 1.
I just looked at one here in the shop, that connector should be hooked to the wire up in the d pillar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, so that connector goes into the one that comes down vertically from above, correct? Problem is, I don’t see the one coming down. I may need to take some things apart. Seems like dealer screwed up

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes if you take out the pop our panel above the one you already have out you can access it. Take out the panel and reach towards the back, one you find the harness, follow it up, the connector you want is taped to it. Undo the tape and pull it down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes if you take out the pop our panel above the one you already have out you can access it. Take out the panel and reach towards the back, one you find the harness, follow it up, the connector you want is taped to it. Undo the tape and pull it down.
I found the connector stashed up in there, so just working on the tape now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anybody have a picture of the pin layout? They clearly broke out a brown/orange wire from the harness and connected to the top instead of bottom. I need to put it back, but I don’t now in which position it goes

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Anybody have a picture of the pin layout? They clearly broke out a brown/orange wire from the harness and connected to the top instead of bottom. I need to put it back, but I don’t now in which position it goes
Never mind, I think these assholes actually have the back pinned correctly, but cut the wire running back down the harness and routed it up to the top. Am I right? WTF, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Since you paid the dealer to do it, I would be calling the service manager and making an appointment to get it fixed. I would nicely but firmly say that you needed to pull a trailer so you quickly went over the wiring and found it wasn't correct, and you want it fixed correctly. Then put it back the way they did it, and take it in and show the manager. If they cut the harness, I would insist they replace the harness at their expense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Since you paid the dealer to do it, I would be calling the service manager and making an appointment to get it fixed. I would nicely but firmly say that you needed to pull a trailer so you quickly went over the wiring and found it wasn't correct, and you want it fixed correctly. Then put it back the way they did it, and take it in and show the manager. If they cut the harness, I would insist they replace the harness at their expense.
So the brown wire was actually in a connector, that was plugged in. I removed it and plugged in the car connector and got power at the plug. Not sure what is going on exactly, but seems to work now. Dealer is 45 minutes away, so I still may have them take a look if I’m nearby.

thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you read the directions linked above there are parts that cover the foot sensor thing. The factory harness has multiple spots and that one wire might need to be plugged in as the sensor. Think like a multiple wire T-Tap harness with multiple duplicate connectors.

The instructions describe where to connect the trailer part and then what connectors to plug in the foot sensor thing. Just trace from start at that top left in D- Pillar, follow the wires/plugs and connect as described. The hard part of all the install, finding/routing wires is already done. You just need to make connectors are in correct sequence.

Pictures and document so that you can maybe get credit from dealer on all the hours you spent fixing their mistake. They can also get the install tech to not screw up others in the future. Most of the "accessories" are done by a different group not the fix your motor/tranny/brakes group. I would start at the head service manager/owner not the service writer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Use THIS INSTRUCTION LINK and start at step 10 regarding multiple accessory harnesses.

I don't know if there is a different trailer harness between the EX-L and Elite but if you check on College Hills website it would list different part numbers. Maybe your dealer got the wrong one if there is.

If that is the case, then you can have them fix it OR give you the correct one if you feel ambitious and swap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Curt has a custom harness controller for these if you have the Tow Package which they clearly state. I am not sure where their harness plugs in but it means you need one from somebody. They may have installation instruction for locating it. I didn't go that far in my research but they offer no solution if you don't have the Tow package. Odd but noted that point.

Who ever install your hitch was not the electrical trailer part of your install or not. People put them on just for a bike rack and don't need it. Just wonder what you scenario was. I'd check with a hitch dealer for advise and/or solution. They'd know exactly what to look for if it was done or now.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts