Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Elite AWD w/Tow Package
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2017 Elite (purchased new) with the towing package installed by the dealer. I went to use it for the first time with a U-Haul and had no lights. After some checking, the fuses in the engine compartment all look good and I confirmed no power is reaching the plug (7 pin). Anything else I can troubleshoot or do I need to take it to the dealer and see what they installed wrong?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here is the 7-pin harness install instructions to help look for a possible missing fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Replace fuses. Check to make sure the wiring harness is plugged in correctly in the rear above the jack, make sure the 7 pin connector has all the wires in correctly, it's possible one or more came loose came loose.

The uhaul connector might be bad also?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the incident of not using the trailer, I have used both a continuity checker and multimeter and confirmed at the car plug that no power is making it to the pins. I guess I could have been more clear about that. This is a car issue, not a trailer issue.

I checked the engine fuses and they all looked fine, so is the suggestion that I check the fuses installed in the back of the car next, followed by making sure the wires are secure in the back of the plug?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Welcome from a NOMD Terp...

With the towing package installed by the dealer I would start at the plug and work my way back. Sounds like you confirmed the pins on the plug aren't receiving the appropriate voltage. Find the other end of the plug where it connects to the body wiring harness, test for voltage at that plug. Etc.

I remember when I installed the 7 pin on my 2nd gen it required some relays, fuses and harnesses under the hood, in a compartment in the rear hatch and under the vehicle.

I would also consider taking it back to the dealer who installed it and letting them sort it out. Not sure what your warranty status is but I'd push them a bit and see if they will stand behind their work.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Are all functions dead, tail, brake, turn? Besides your jack in the lr corner is where the connectors, module, and some fuses are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are all functions dead, tail, brake, turn? Besides your jack in the lr corner is where the connectors, module, and some fuses are.
Yes, all functions at the plug do not work. No voltage on any of the pins.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
610 Posts
I know odd but did you make sure the Pilot was on and RUNNING? I was going crazy trying to track no power until the pilot was actually running. Something with the relays so you don't drain your car battery if hooked to trailer battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I had the car running.

I was able to find the instructions for the rear equipment and have seen a video or 2 on what things are where. Any other advice for where exactly in that system to look? I’ll check the fuse there and make sure everything is connected.

·
Registered
605 Posts

That's everything for the trailer harness, in the lr corner. Being that the functions are separated by different fuses/relays/circuits, I'm guessing one of those isn't connected. Also make sure the ground wire on that harness is connected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many fuses should be in the back? I see 3, but there are spots for 4.

Any tips to get better access? The foam insert for the jack is in the way of seeing things clearly and I don’t want to break the small storage area above it.
2763CE1B-C45C-436C-9113-11B70BED1A27.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look up the tekonsha 7pin wiring harness for the pilot. Theres a video that shows how to remove a couple interior panels. It's easy. 20 mins tops
I watched a video after where everything was taken apart. I do think I saw the large connector may not have had the proper pieces connected. I think I just saw a ground wire connected, where this shot shows a lot more. Had to stop for the day, but will get a picture of mine when I can
970F0F36-FE22-4E5F-9732-9F4C8B2EAA98.png

·
Registered
53 Posts
Odd are it requires a light controller if not supplied. Most vehicle use one. Connectors hanging look like they're for one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts