Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 honda pilot and purchase an OEM hitch from the honda dealership. During installation 4 out of the six bolts went in just fine but the other 2 only go in about half way then they bottom out. Does anyone know what may be my issue with this installation?

·
Registered
64 Posts
the rearmost two? i had issues too. It was rust in the holes. I just tried to clean out with a brush, and then repeatedly backed them in/out with my impact wrench to clean the rust off the threads. It would go a little bit further each time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hitch Rearmost Bolts

I'm having the same issue. I have a 2017 Pilot Touring that I'm trying to install an OEM trailer hitch on. Everything fits perfect except the rearmost two bolts. They still have about 1/2 inch before being fully torqued down but I feel like any more pressure and I'll break the bolt. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did mine on my 2018 when it was new and did not have a problem. It sounds like you should get a tap and run it up the threads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second spinedoc. Buy/borrow a thread chaser and use that. They are designed with grooves to get the crud/rust out. Driving a bolt and backing off repeatedly just jams that stuff up higher. Some auto parts stores might even loan them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Battery Terminal Brush

I removed the bolts that wouldn't go in and cleaned the treads out with the male end of a battery terminal brush. Once all the crud was out and I lubricated the bolts they went in much easier and completely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today, I installed oem trailer hitch and wiring harness, instructions was easy to follow. I sprayed the six mounting bolts with lithuim white grease and let them sit for about 30 min. I was able to screw the bolts all the way in by hand before using the torgue wrench , I must gotten lucky without having any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installing the Curt for my 2016, all the 6 bolts are too big, i even tried the 1/4" thread chaser but still cannot get the bolts in, do anyone have the Honda parts or size of those bolts?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Installing the Curt for my 2016, all the 6 bolts are too big, i even tried the 1/4" thread chaser but still cannot get the bolts in, do anyone have the Honda parts or size of those bolts?

Thanks
1/4" is wrong thread and you will ruin the threads. You need the correct size and pitch thread.

Better to just get wire brush that is used for rifle or pistol. WD40 and brush and clean it out. maybe even dremel with wire brush attachment. The bolts are normally correct, just where they bolt to that is rusted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
First I'd contact the seller or Curt and have them rush you the correct size bolts. If they can't or won't, I'd return the Curt and get a better hitch. I went with the OEM one and while expensive, it looks much better and fits more closely than any of the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
618 Posts
First I'd contact the seller or Curt and have them rush you the correct size bolts. If they can't or won't, I'd return the Curt and get a better hitch. I went with the OEM one and while expensive, it looks much better and fits more closely than any of the aftermarket ones.
I agree i don’t like the look of the aftermarket ones. To me worth the extra cost to have a cleaner look! hopefully ill get mine installed soon.

Has anyone found an aftermarket wiring harness that has a nice fit a finish like the OEM one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bolt holes require a lot of cleaning because of corrosion build up. I used a pipe cleaner in my cordless drill and it worked great and cleared the threads. The pipe cleaner is available in the plumbing section of most any hardware store. FYI The brass rifle bore brush is too soft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts