Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this themselves? With the lift-gate sensor being blocked, how does that work with a hitch? My wife wants a hitch so that we can put a bike rack on the back. Our old van had enough cargo room inside for 4 bikes, so this is an adjustment for us. Many thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
Has anyone done this themselves? With the lift-gate sensor being blocked, how does that work with a hitch? My wife wants a hitch so that we can put a bike rack on the back. Our old van had enough cargo room inside for 4 bikes, so this is an adjustment for us. Many thanks,

Gary

I did it 2 week ago.

If you don't need the wiring harness, it's much easier and faster

Check College Hills Honda for the price you should try to negotiate with the parts department near you.

Screenshot_20200723-194755_Chrome.jpg

The kick sensor adaptor you can cut with a utility knife, it might take a minute or two.

The hitch is simple, 6 bolts.

Everyone here, recommended buying Fluid Film to spray under the spare and between the chassis and the hitch.

I bought Fluid Film at Lowes. Was $9/$10. The smell isn't terrible but I still sprayed it and waited about 10-15 minutes.

You'll want to pick up 20 gauge bore cleaner. I had one laying around from a gun cleaning kit. You only need 1 and a pair of pliers. (Don't skip this step.)

20200723_195453.jpg

You're going to run these through and across the threads that the 6 bolts go into. Do this before getting the hitch underneath the vehicle.

Then once you think you're clean, thread the 6 bolts by hand BUT without the hitch.

Once you confirm the bolts thread slide the hitch underneath and secure with the bolts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hitch and adapter can be done in an hour but im slow and steady so tell the wife it'll take 2.5 hours and enjoy some quiet time in the garage.

Good luck.

20200712_150127.jpg

20200712_150615.jpg

20200717_184817.jpg

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That OEM install looks way better than the aftermarket. I was leaning towards aftermarket to save some money, but would hate to screw with what is meant for it. My local mechanic said there is a back order for these. I’ll check the local dealership to see what they can do for me. I wish I would have just had them do it the day we bought it.

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did it 2 week ago.

If you don't need the wiring harness, it's much easier and faster

Check College Hills Honda for the price you should try to negotiate with the parts department near you.

View attachment 138329

The kick sensor adaptor you can cut with a utility knife, it might take a minute or two.

The hitch is simple, 6 bolts.

Everyone here, recommended buying Fluid Film to spray under the spare and between the chassis and the hitch.

I bought Fluid Film at Lowes. Was $9/$10. The smell isn't terrible but I still sprayed it and waited about 10-15 minutes.

You'll want to pick up 20 gauge bore cleaner. I had one laying around from a gun cleaning kit. You only need 1 and a pair of pliers. (Don't skip this step.)

View attachment 138330

You're going to run these through and across the threads that the 6 bolts go into. Do this before getting the hitch underneath the vehicle.

Then once you think you're clean, thread the 6 bolts by hand BUT without the hitch.

Once you confirm the bolts thread slide the hitch underneath and secure with the bolts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hitch and adapter can be done in an hour but im slow and steady so tell the wife it'll take 2.5 hours and enjoy some quiet time in the garage.

Good luck.

View attachment 138331

View attachment 138332

View attachment 138333

This write up is awesome! Much appreciated! I just ordered from the local dealership. They quoted me $319.77 for the hitch and $97.71 for the handsfree liftgate adapter. I could have ordered online and maybe saved $30, but would have had to wait a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
This write up is awesome! Much appreciated! I just ordered from the local dealership. They quoted me $319.77 for the hitch and $97.71 for the handsfree liftgate adapter. I could have ordered online and maybe saved $30, but would have had to wait a couple of weeks.
I forgot to mention 2 things.

1. Use a small flat head screw driver on the pop clips. Something the size you would use to change batteries on kids toys. Bigger than something for glasses but smaller than light and electrical plates

2. Another annoyance is the clip for the kick sensor bc of the rear bumper brace.

Edited to add these 2 photos:
20200724_210456.jpg

20200724_210549.jpg

You gotta push in the center sliver thing and them pull out. 🥳

From there use a panel popper to pull pthe white clip out of the housing.

Then you can take the original rear silver kick plate/ cover off.

20200712_151031.jpg

20200712_151038.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention 2 things.

1. Use a small flat head screw driver on the pop clips. Something the size you would use to change batteries on kids toys. Bigger than something for glasses but smaller than light and electrical plates

2. Another annoyance is the clip for the kick sensor bc of the rear bumper brace.

Edited to add these 2 photos:
View attachment 138356

View attachment 138358

You gotta push in the center sliver thing and them pull out. 🥳

From there use a panel popper to pull pthe white clip out of the housing.

Then you can take the original rear silver kick plate/ cover off.

View attachment 138354

View attachment 138355

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
That OEM install looks way better than the aftermarket. I was leaning towards aftermarket to save some money, but would hate to screw with what is meant for it. My local mechanic said there is a back order for these. I’ll check the local dealership to see what they can do for me. I wish I would have just had them do it the day we bought it.

Spending $45k on a vehicle... get OEM

This is like people who buy BMW's to put Uniroyal or Nexen tires on their car. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spending $45k on a vehicle... get OEM

This is like people who buy BMW's to put Uniroyal or Nexen tires on their car. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree. In this instance, the best parts and the cleanest look is the OEM. Happy wife=happy life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts