Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Fellow Piloteers!

I just bought my first Honda Pilot today after trading in my beloved 2014 CRV. Its a 2021 EX-L with AWD. I live in the south where AWD's are hard to find. I bought it because I want to get a small travel trailer to start traveling again with less covid risk in hotels and cabins.

Question: Is $1900 for a trailer kit and labor to install at the dealer excessive? It seemed so to me. I would like a dealer install because I'm a single lady and will be traveling alone most of the time. I wanted it to be properly installed and safe .I've already paid for it ,but I'm thinking about cancelling the order tomorrow to find something less expensive but using certified Honda parts.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm not sure about the cost (everything at a stealership is overpriced) but make absolutely sure "the kit" includes the transmission cooler. Looks like a hitch from etrailer.com runs about $175 and the light harness runs about $65 plus the labor to mount both. I believe you have the 9 speed tranny and the cooler for the 9 speed runs $300+ thru Honda. labor at double the part price would likely run the bill up to +/-$1100. Again, you need the transmission cooler.

This is just me personally but if I were to tow, I would want to know tranny fluid temps (TFT). There a number of different units available that simply plug-n-play into the OBD port under the dash

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Dealership parts and labor have gone up considerably this year. Yes that is excessively high. But I'd also want the nice OEM hitch that is installed through the bumper. They remove your bottom valence and install one that accommodates the hitch. One thing I'd ask for is your original bottom valence you paid for. That should not be theirs to keep.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Hello, Fellow Piloteers!

I just bought my first Honda Pilot today after trading in my beloved 2014 CRV. Its a 2021 EX-L with AWD. I live in the south where AWD's are hard to find. I bought it because I want to get a small travel trailer to start traveling again with less covid risk in hotels and cabins.

Question: Is $1900 for a trailer kit and labor to install at the dealer excessive? It seemed so to me. I would like a dealer install because I'm a single lady and will be traveling alone most of the time. I wanted it to be properly installed and safe .I've already paid for it ,but I'm thinking about cancelling the order tomorrow to find something less expensive but using certified Honda parts.

Thoughts?
WAY TO HIGH. Souldn’t coat you any more than $600-$700 using OEM.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Lol, you can't even buy the oem parts for that if she has a hands free tailgate. List for the oem hitch and harness is $611. At least put some effort into an answer.
So yea, point proven $1500 is too high. Atleast put some effort into a response.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hitch 376.20
Harness 235.13
Hands free tailgate adaptor if needed 114.95
Cooler 384.62
Total 1110.90
Again how is 700 going to happen?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Lol, you can't even buy the oem parts for that if she has a hands free tailgate. List for the oem hitch and harness is $611. At least put some effort into an answer.
College Hill Honda has the OEM Hitch & harness for $440.16. ( Hitch = 279.86 and harness = $169.30) The hands free hitch adapter is $82.76. The ATF cooler for the 6 speed is $144.00 and for the 9 speed it is $300.00.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Those College Hills prices above total almost $850 in parts and those places seem to charge ridiculous freight. Even at ridiculous freight charges, parts/freight should be less than $1000, no?

So.....how much is the labor charge to get the hitch, harness, adapter and tranny cooler from the boxes to on the vehicle?......is labor really $900? I forgot to add the ball and ball mount ($44 plus freight), but no labor charge since the ball mount is DIY, I would think.🤷‍♂️

I’ve always understood that the type of hitch that Honda sells is a “receiver type hitch”......the receiver being the female part of the hitch. The ball mount being the male part that plugs into the receiver. College Hills/Honda appears to be calling the ball mount the receiver. The ball mount receives nothing.......the hitch receiver does all the receiving.🤷‍♂️

1 - 9 of 9 Posts