Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Touring AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2017 Pilot touring trailer hitch installed by myself. I can't bolt in the two bolts, one on each side closest to the bumper. I just bolted and torqued four bolts, two on each side. I don't want to force bolting in the remaining two, I goes like 4 turns on the thread then it hits a snag. I will use it primarily for bike racks so I think four bolts will be good enough. you you guys encounter the same problem? thanks

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
A wire brush, a good solvent oil can do wonders. If that doesn't work a Metric Tap and Die set would solve the problem. While it's not a lot of weight in the scheme of things, I would want it well secured with all the bolts.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Touring AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A wire brush, a good solvent oil can do wonders. If that doesn't work a Metric Tap and Die set would solve the problem. While it's not a lot of weight in the scheme of things, I would want it well secured with all the bolts.
thanks a lot. ill try to do that!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
I got my 2017 Pilot touring trailer hitch installed by myself. I can't bolt in the two bolts, one on each side closest to the bumper. I just bolted and torqued four bolts, two on each side. I don't want to force bolting in the remaining two, I goes like 4 turns on the thread then it hits a snag. I will use it primarily for bike racks so I think four bolts will be good enough. you you guys encounter the same problem? thanks
I had the same issue with mine... until I reviewed the instructions. When you torque the bolts follow the procedure shown in the instruction below and it will work.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
What I would recommend you do, is loosen the 4 bolts you torqued already... to the point their loose an the hitch is “hanging” from them... then loosely put in the last 2 bolts, but don’t tighten. You should see they will be able to go in. Following that, THEN torque down all the bolts following the procedure as shown above. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Touring AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I would recommend you do, is loosen the 4 bolts you torqued already... to the point their loose an the hitch is “hanging” from them... then loosely put in the last 2 bolts, but don’t tighten. You should see they will be able to go in. Following that, THEN torque down all the bolts following the procedure as shown above. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, I'll try to do that!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
This is my recommendation. Additionally, if you have a thread tapping/cleaning set run proper size tap in to clean any junk out of the threads. When I installed our running boards utilizing the existing bolt holes I couldn't even get half of them started, I had to clean out enough of the first thread where the tap would grab then change directions frequently to keep the crap from breaking the tap as it built up.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
What they all said.
If you want them in, then clean the threads with the proper tap.

If you are not installing the ATF cooler too, and not towing anything that heavy- you're good to go.

I have seen OEM trailer hitches with only 2 bolts in them each side.

Same thing happened when installing a hitch years later on our 08. It's just for the bike rack. It only has 2 bolts each side.

Reactions: Taree Mariano

·
Registered
2017 Pilot Touring AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What they all said.
If you want them in, then clean the threads with the proper tap.

If you are not installing the ATF cooler too, and not towing anything that heavy- you're good to go.

I have seen OEM trailer hitches with only 2 bolts in them each side.

Same thing happened when installing a hitch years later on our 08. It's just for the bike rack. It only has 2 bolts each side.
Thanks , that’s comforting to know and don't have this what if at the back of your mind all the time. Great to hear that! Thanks again

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
As mentioned run the proper size tap through the problem holes. Since you can install a hitch I'm confident you can do it. Determine the size of your bolt and buy the corresponding metric tap. I had plenty of use with a tap set from Harbor Freight but you could spend more if desired or buy the one tap off Amazon. Tap sets can be a good tool investment as I've used them multiple times to solve problems. The holes may be clogged from road debris or paint or weld slag.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Had good results with this Lang Rethreader Kit. Cleans up, repairs or renews threads quick and easily. This is NOT for starting new threads.
Metal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts