Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Trailer hitch install - anyone do it themselves?

44087 Views 88 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  wasidremin
I saw the installation instructions and it looks fairly straight forward. Has anyone done this install themselves, how long did it take, was it hard and did you require another person for assistance?

Thanks
Tom
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
I saw the installation instructions and it looks fairly straight forward. Has anyone done this install themselves, how long did it take, was it hard and did you require another person for assistance?

Thanks
Tom
I did everything myself. One person. Do a search and you’ll see everything from part numbers to time and costs. In summary, I bought everything for under $600 (hitch, wiring harness, and hands free kit (need a shortened version when you add a hitch) and it took under 3 hrs for everything if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, yeah I don't think I'll be towing anything but a bike rack.
This part of it, I took about 25 minutes. Mainly because I had to look up how to lower the tire. I then used the tire itself to support the hitch part way till I could lift up one side and get the bolts started. Then shifted the tire to the other side for support off the ground, and got bolts started on the other side.

· Registered
48 Posts
A little bit of info that might help people. The trailer hitch is the same as the Acura MDX and on amazon you could probably find a CURT for about $150.00 its the same exact part Number
Main difference between OEM and aftermarket is more 2+ inches of ground clearance. Aftermarket goes under the existing bumper. OEM version is set in between the bumper.

· Registered
48 Posts
From the Instructions for the install it appears that you dont need to buy a different hands free adapter, you just cut down the one that already exists. Is that how everyone else reads it?
No. You can’t really cut down the sensor antenna as it runs the full length. The hitch version is shorter and only senses movement on the right side of the bumper.

· Registered
2019 Touring Obsidian Blue
52 Posts
When I had my Honda hitch installed about a month ago, the modified adapter was unavailable and on a nationwide backorder and couldn't be had through any channels. I was able to convince the dealership to modify my original hands free adapter by cutting the plastic down to the correct size and routing the long antennas around the hitch receiver. They were reluctant to do it but I begged them and they did it for me. They said they wouldn't install the hitch without the modified adapter so I had to talk them into it.

· Registered
10 Posts
. I was able to convince the dealership to modify my original hands free adapter by cutting the plastic down to the correct size and routing the long antennas around the hitch receiver.
I installed my hitch yesterday myself and had to do the same thing. I ended up using some industrial glue to hold it in place. But it does works but with more limited range

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.