Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own question - seems like all 3 are needed - from description in College Hills Honda - This adapter (08L91-TG7-100C) is required when installing a trailer hitch. It moves the sensor off center to accomodate the installation of the trailer hitch. Install manual for it looks a bit on complicated side ....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Piloteers,
Trying to figure out if I need all 3 parts for trailer hitch install -
2019-2021 Pilot Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness 08L91-TG7-100B
2019-2021 Pilot Trailer Hitch 08L92-TG7-1A0
Tailgate, Hands Free, Adapter 08L91-TG7-100C

My main question is 08L91-TG7-100C since I did not need it on my 2016 EX-L
If your going to do it yourself make sure you do this things. Make sure the holes for the bolts are clean, take a small wire brush to them. Spray some fluid film on the bolts. As far as the actual install of the hitch goes its fairly simple. I've done a 2016 and a 2019. To make it really easy, fully remove the spare and back the rear wheels up a ramp if you have one. It makes it a lot easier

·
Registered
428 Posts
Answering my own question - seems like all 3 are needed - from description in College Hills Honda - This adapter (08L91-TG7-100C) is required when installing a trailer hitch. It moves the sensor off center to accomodate the installation of the trailer hitch. Install manual for it looks a bit on complicated side ....
I didn't have the sensor on my to installs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your going to do it yourself make sure you do this things. Make sure the holes for the bolts are clean, take a small wire brush to them. Spray some fluid film on the bolts. As far as the actual install of the hitch goes its fairly simple. I've done a 2016 and a 2019. To make it really easy, fully remove the spare and back the rear wheels up a ramp if you have one. It makes it a lot easier
Thank you for advise! I remember it was fairly easy on 2016 EX-L, now since I am moving to 2021 Elite that sensor harness creates confusion for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That part is a shorter antenna since the stock antenna is in the way of the oem hitch.

I ended up installing one from etrailer for $150, and then a 4pin curt harness at about $30.

About an hour for the whole thing, and avoid messing with the antenna. The hands free opener still works with the hitch installed, but the active area is on the side of the hitch

I also bought a receiver plug with honda logo to make it look a little nicer

·
Registered
5 Posts
That part is a shorter antenna since the stock antenna is in the way of the oem hitch.

I ended up installing one from etrailer for $150, and then a 4pin curt harness at about $30.

About an hour for the whole thing, and avoid messing with the antenna. The hands free opener still works with the hitch installed, but the active area is on the side of the hitch

I also bought a receiver plug with honda logo to make it look a little nicer
You said "avoid messing with the antenna" ... are you saying you don't really need the replacement adapter that has the shorter antenna - that the hands-free operation is still good, just only works on the side of the hitch? Asking 'cause if that is the case, why would Honda say that part is required?

Just got a 2021 Pilot SE, ordered hitch today, wondering if I need that sensor adapter now.

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honda oem hitch mounts higher so it physically needs to go thru the space that the long antenna is. I read that one guy just loosened the antenna and zip tied it above the hitch receiver ( still concealed by the bumper cover)

The application that I referred to is with an etrailer or any other aftermarket hitch, they mount below the bumper so do not occupy the same space needed for the antenna. It does however block a few inches of the antenna's zone under the receiver. Still works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda oem hitch mounts higher so it physically needs to go thru the space that the long antenna is. I read that one guy just loosened the antenna and zip tied it above the hitch receiver ( still concealed by the bumper cover)

The application that I referred to is with an etrailer or any other aftermarket hitch, they mount below the bumper so do not occupy the same space needed for the antenna. It does however block a few inches of the antenna's zone under the receiver. Still works.
Sweet - I ordered an eTrailer hitch. Guess I'll just wait and see if this is a problem before ordering that Honda part.

Thank you,
-Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also ordered a honda oem rubber receiver plug from amazon, with H logo for about $12, just to make it look a little more refined

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Touring 2wd
44 Posts
I am not trying to hijack your thread but I’m looking a a trailer hitch for our new Pilot. Therefore, I’m interested in what you recommend us Installing on our Pilot We have never owned a Honda before and we just traded our MB on a 2021 Pilot touring. It didn’t have the trailer hitch already installed on the suv and I wanted to see if you recommend the OEM from Honda or an aftermarket one? We have the tailgate sensor btw. Thanks for any recommendations you have.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
I am not trying to hijack your thread but I’m looking a a trailer hitch for our new Pilot. Therefore, I’m interested in what you recommend us Installing on our Pilot We have never owned a Honda before and we just traded our MB on a 2021 Pilot touring. It didn’t have the trailer hitch already installed on the suv and I wanted to see if you recommend the OEM from Honda or an aftermarket one? We have the tailgate sensor btw. Thanks for any recommendations you have.
What do you want the hitch for? Towing, bike/cargo rack etc.? For towing I would prefer the OEM hitch as it sits up in the bumper area of the vehicle instead of down below the bumper. This would be a bit better for off roading/towing. If it's for a bike rack then I don't think the difference in height matters much.

The OEM is a cleaner looking install IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
\
The Honda hitch is much, much cleaner looking. I have the Special Edition with the tailgate sensor and just installed the hitch and the wiring harness. The shorter sensor was backordered, but I just routed the original antennae around it with ziptied them in place. Still works fine...

·
Registered
44 Posts
T
What do you want the hitch for? Towing, bike/cargo rack etc.? For towing I would prefer the OEM hitch as it sits up in the bumper area of the vehicle instead of down below the bumper. This would be a bit better for off roading/towing. If it's for a bike rack then I don't think the difference in height matters much.

The OEM is a cleaner looking install IMO.
Just for towing jet skis / thanks for your reply and your opinion about the OEM hitch.!

·
Registered
44 Posts
\
The Honda hitch is much, much cleaner looking. I have the Special Edition with the tailgate sensor and just installed the hitch and the wiring harness. The shorter sensor was backordered, but I just routed the original antennae around it with ziptied them in place. Still works fine...
I’m leaning towards the OEM hitch so I appreciate your feedback about this matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts