Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an after market trailer hitch Hitch fits fine but they sent me wrong attatchment bolts. Does anyone know where to find correct bolt sizes? for frame and center plate?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grease and chase the weld nuts with a tap, especially on the passenger side.

On my wife’s 2007, the tow hook came off and those bolts went back in fine because the threads were covered all those years. But on the passenger side I ended up with a real mess because the welds first the weld nut were so weak. I swear I could have bested them out by hand. The bolts i was using looked like thread chasing bolts, but they left me with rattling bolts I left in there and one stuck half way so that the passenger side isn’t really connected. We only use it for a bike hitch, not trailering. So it’s ok.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I purchased an after market trailer hitch Hitch fits fine but they sent me wrong attatchment bolts. Does anyone know where to find correct bolt sizes? for frame and center plate?
Did you try contacting the manufacturer as they might send you replacement bolts. It’s important to use the correct grade bolts.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The bolts i was using looked like thread chasing bolts, but they left me with rattling bolts I left in there and one stuck half way so that the passenger side isn’t really connected. We only use it for a bike hitch, not trailering
IMO that hitch needs to be tightened/torqued to spec as it’s a very heavy metal piece that will cause serious damage should the remaining fasteners fail. If the weld nuts threads are damaged get them re-tapped for matching bolts and secure them.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome, but other members deserve most of the credit. Post pics of the successful result. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMO that hitch needs to be tightened/torqued to spec as it’s a very heavy metal piece that will cause serious damage should the remaining fasteners fail. If the weld nuts threads are damaged get them re-tapped for matching bolts and secure them.
That is correct. It’s an accident waiting to happen if someone was to use it for a real trailer. Friggin’ total mess now as my only recourse at the moment is to cut all the bolts out and bust the remaining weld nuts and figure out how to get replacement nuts up there. I think I’d rather wait until we are ready to get rid of the car before I open that can of worms. The driver side it well torqued, and the center bolts are well mounted too. As stated, it’s just used for a bike rack now, and it’s held up well for that. If it was to break or bend, the existing loose bolts would do more in their current scenario than if they weren’t there at all. I think it’s been through 2-3 summers of bike rack use so far, maybe more. I can’t recall.

Edit. Just checked. And yep, front and back bolts are rattling loose, and the center bolt got stuck half way in. Friggin mess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know what the length and pitch is on the M10 bolts mentioned above?
I'm sorry, I can't remember the exact length of the bolts, but I did go look at the 2 taps that I purchased just for this project and they are both "1.25" pitch. (M12 x 1.25 & M10 x 1.25)
I think the thread length on all the bolts was the same and about 1.25" to 1.5" in length(not counting the head).
The M10 bolts go into the metal inner 'bumper structure' (if I remember correctly?) and I believe there is plenty of clearance to allow even the larger of my 2 guesses above. So, I would think that as long as you had two M10 x 1.25(pitch) bolts with a thread length of 1.5" you SHOULD be good(?)
It has been over a year since I installed my hitch, so maybe someone else could comment on the exact length. I do know that the thread pitch IS "1.25" though.
HTH

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Not exactly what you were asking, but I hope it can help nonetheless.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not exactly what you were asking, but I hope it can help nonetheless.
That should answer everything I "guessed" at trying to answer though ;)

M12 x 1.25 x 40(1.5748 inch)
M10 x 1.25 x 35(1.37795 inch)

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Thanks guys. I found the screw specs on another forum post a little while after I asked. I just ordered a replacement rear bumper reinforcement bar, and the hitch bolts into it with those M10 bolts, so I ordered a pair of replacement bolts since I'm not sure what kind of shape the old ones are going to be in after I remove the rusty bumper part. The Curt hitch that the previous owner installed is still in pretty good shape, except for some rust around the receiver hole, so I'm going to clean it thoroughly, prime it, and repaint it while I've got the bumper off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts