Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring, and was very upset that Honda didn't include the Trailer Hitch and wiring harness. I would have at least been happy if they would have included the Trailer Hitch!! My 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L had this standard. I need to get a hitch and harness installed, and wanted to know if anyone has had this done on their 2016 Honda Pilot, and if so, did you have Honda install their package or did you take to someone outside of Honda? My local dealership quoted me $800 for everything installed.

Scott

·
Registered
89 Posts
I paid about 1500 CDN when I bought my 2017 EX new at the dealer ship, that also included the ATF cooler.
The installation is really neat and I do tow about 5000# every summer for 2000km. So far, everything remain tight and the atf temps stays sub 200F if driving in D4...

I also appreciated being able to carry a full size spare wheel instead of the 80km range donut ....
Plus, the OEM in very well package in the rear bumper cover and looks good, to my eyes at least.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
If your trailer weighs 3500lbs or less then you don't need a transmission oil cooler. The hitch is $260 and the wiring harness $60 on the internet sites, if you care to install yourself which is pretty easy. I did my own in about 1.5 hours. OEM hitch looks a lot better than aftermarket which is around $150 or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always recommend folks to do their due diligence in research prior to buying a vehicle. Gen 3 Pilots are clearly stated as NOT having an integrated hitch like the Gen 2. As @ecjohnny mentioned, the install is straightforward and the OEM does offer a cleaner look, but at a premium. I would recommend going that route. You can also get an aftermarket hitch for $140 (etrailer) and get an OEM hitch harness.

That said, DO NOT splice into, or have anyone else splice into, the OEM wiring harness to run trailer lights. If you plan on towing, get the ATF cooler as well. If you are just planning to hook up a bike rack, then you can skip the trailer harness and the ATF cooler. BTW, installing the ATF cooler is involved, but is not impossible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts