Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4x4 2007 pilot with 111,000 miles that is new to me. An issue it has is that upon start up the traction control (!) in a triangle comes on and does not go off. after getting up to speed the VSA light comes on disabling the system. If you travel very slowly the VSA light does not come on and the stability system works, but the traction control light is always on steady. The VSA button does nothing in any scenario. No other warning lights are on and the ABS works.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could begin looking for the problem?

I checked the VSA fuses, pulled them, did the whole battery change procedure.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, This does sound very similar, except I have no idea what initially caused the issue. Same as you, I don't have any drivability issues.
I have an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday, so I will follow up after they check it out. I generally do a lot of my own work on vehicles and have seen that there are HIM-HDS readers out there that allow you to reset these type of things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I fixed the problem today after searching around on the Honda-Tech forums about an Accord with a similar issue. I copied and pasted the resolution below, but it doesn't explain using a paper clip to jump the 4 and 9 pins on the obdII connector. You need to check the standard numbering scheme and orientation of your OBD connector. I had it flip flopped the first time. Once you have the paper clip jumping the 4 and 9 pins turn on the key and watch the ABS light Mine blinked 8 times and then 4 times...Code 84 TCS Neutral position needed reset.

Then do this

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4 (should already be done if you just erased your codes)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Cool dealerless solution, all the way down to the final number 5. :29:

I suppose it would be correct to presume that for the Pilot, "TCS off" = "VSA off."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool dealerless solution, all the way down to the final number 5. :29:

I suppose it would be correct to presume that for the Pilot, "TCS off" = "VSA off."

Correct, I edited that part of the post- I left some references to TCS since there seems to be a lot written about that system for other Honda models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fixed the problem today after searching around on the Honda-Tech forums about an Accord with a similar issue. I copied and pasted the resolution below, but it doesn't explain using a paper clip to jump the 4 and 9 pins on the obdII connector. You need to check the standard numbering scheme and orientation of your OBD connector. I had it flip flopped the first time. Once you have the paper clip jumping the 4 and 9 pins turn on the key and watch the ABS light Mine blinked 8 times and then 4 times...Code 84 TCS Neutral position needed reset.

Then do this

RESOLUTION:

But few days ago I have fixed the problem myself without Dealer Scanner!
First of all you need to clear ABS errors (that is the main problem why i have failed earlier).

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (should already be done if you initially checked for Code 84)
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

Now the main part.

TCS neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 to 4 (should already be done if you just erased your codes)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.
5) Open the beer bottle!
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank you and also let people know that this worked for me on a 2005 Acura RL. I bought a new scan tool, cleared codes, and wound up having my VSA light on when I was finished. No other lights, just VSA and doing this complete procedure was the only thing I found that made it go away. Thanks again

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
120 Posts
I've got lights on mine- VSA, ! with triangle, and ABS! All happened after local mechanic replaced radiator and did 210k service. I don't have a scanner, but do have a paperclip so I'll give it a try on our 2005 Pilot :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What was included in the mysterious 210k service?
If he damaged any of the ABS sensors then you would have the lights. The paperclip trick will tell you which is not working, or you can simply take an Ohmmeter to each and see if any of them read anything other than 1.4-1.5kOhm. Once you replace the broken ABS sensor, you will have to perform the VSA neutral position relearn procedure. Search for my thread on that.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
120 Posts
Thank you for your response👍 Rear end fluid (VTM 4), radiator & fluid, timing belt, water pump, accessory belt, ATF (ATF Connection to Radiator failed), both CV axles. Also- before leaving shop I noticed the wires connecting to brake fluid reservoir were disconnected . When I got home I reconnected and the brake warning light came on. I disconnected and it’s been off ever since.
The ohm readings- is that to ground or to each terminal?
Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got lights on mine- VSA, ! with triangle, and ABS! All happened after local mechanic replaced radiator and did 210k service. I don't have a scanner, but do have a paperclip so I'll give it a try on our 2005 Pilot :)
Just do it like explained and I'm sure you'll be fine. I used a wire but either way will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, I was using a pretty decent scan tool and not some little cheapo but still couldn't clear it. Autel MK808

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank you for your response👍 Rear end fluid (VTM 4), radiator & fluid, timing belt, water pump, accessory belt, ATF (ATF Connection to Radiator failed), both CV axles. Also- before leaving shop I noticed the wires connecting to brake fluid reservoir were disconnected . When I got home I reconnected and the brake warning light came on. I disconnected and it’s been off ever since.
When removing the upper strut connection, or lower ball joint connection to the wheel hub assembly, it is really easy to stress/damage the ABS sensor wire and connection. I think Can has this one.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EXL
120 Posts
When removing the upper strut connection, or lower ball joint connection to the wheel hub assembly, it is really easy to stress/damage the ABS sensor wire and connection. I think Can has this one.
I’ll have to check into that! Thanks!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts