Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting a Roofnest Falcon XL RTT on order, I found what was implied as a simple mounting process is not so simple. I have a 2013 Pilot with OEM rails, but my RTT is 160 pounds by itself and I have been searching for any track-mounted platform available for the 2013 Pilot. I've spoken the exchanged emails with Prinsu, Frontrunner, Gobi, Yakima, and Rhino Rack and none of these manufacturers has a track-mount application to support a platform rack on which to evenly distribute the RTT over my vehicle's roof. It has been frustrating to listen to and read their representative's messages to the effect that Honda doesn't really qualify as an overland or RTT-capable vehicle when I see that they're making platform racks for Subaru wagons, Buick SUVs, and other small SUVs. Those seem lazy responses, but the crazy thing is that they all exclude Honda when all other recognizable car manufacturer's vehicles are included. In some cases, it's obviously due to their non-U.S. design locations and the fact that the Pilot was intended for only North American distribution, but even the U.S. firms avoided designing for the Pilot. I hope I haven't run out of possibilities. The 2013 Pilot has multiple existing anchor points in the longitudinal channels/gutters into which the OEM rails install. I believe there are six anchor points beneath the cover strips when the OEM rails are removed. Someone out there must make a kit for the Honda Pilot beyond two 165 Lb. capable crossbars. Who is that? The problem with the OEM rails and the use of aftermarket crossbars is that the former only reach about 50" to 55" from the tailgate hinge to just behind the pillar between the front and rear doors, leaving almost half the length of a 90" RTT cantilevered in space over the sunroof with no support at all. The problem with the latter is that with the OEM rails removed, the only place to attach aftermarket crossbars is in the front and rear doorsills, which leaves just less than half of the RTT cantilevered in space over the rear third of the passenger compartment with no support. Basically, there's no way to properly distribute the load, no way to center the load. Can anyone here help me identify an adequate solution? I can't believe some of the responses I get are "Trade in your Honda for a Toyota or Jeep. Honda owners don't camp."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You nailed a basic issue with Pilot roof racks -- too short and too far back. Ski boxes and other stuff takes extra care to spec and install. Even common stuff like roof baskets take extra care.

Were it me, I'd be shooping for a universal crossbar that sits on pads around the B pillar, an d use that to carry the front of the tent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
dr bob said it well. You might be able to put together a hybrid platform system using OEM or third-party rail systems and then find a universal crossbar for the front.

Honda owners camp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You nailed a basic issue with Pilot roof racks -- too short and too far back. Ski boxes and other stuff takes extra care to spec and install. Even common stuff like roof baskets take extra care.

Were it me, I'd be shooping for a universal crossbar that sits on pads around the B pillar, an d use that to carry the front of the tent.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. Now I'm talking to a local Rhino Rack installer about using some straight RCS tracks in the existing ditch gutters--tracks designed for another vehicle, but which might also lay into the Pilot ditch gutters since they appear to be perfectly straight from front to back. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have either Rhino or Yakima truck topper/cap track drilled into the virgin steel roof. What the heck! The car is over seven years old now, so I suppose I should be less concerned with that sort of body modification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Above, I should have said Rhino Rack "RTS" track, not "RCS" track if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. Now I'm talking to a local Rhino Rack installer about using some straight RCS tracks in the existing ditch gutters--tracks designed for another vehicle, but which might also lay into the Pilot ditch gutters since they appear to be perfectly straight from front to back. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have either Rhino or Yakima truck topper/cap track drilled into the virgin steel roof. What the heck! The car is over seven years old now, so I suppose I should be less concerned with that sort of body modification.
Like my Dad always said:

'Just Caulk it'

Reactions: Lasso
1 - 6 of 6 Posts