Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a cold day today. It is showing one of my tires as low, but the other three have similar pressures. Anyone know why it only blinks for one tire when they all appear low?

·
Registered
295 Posts
View attachment 141300 We had a cold day today. It is showing one of my tires as low, but the other three have similar pressures. Anyone know why it only blinks for one tire when they all appear low?
Haven’t had this on the Pilot so far as I maintain my tires psi at 35 (garaged N.Cali), but it has happened to my Infiniti G37 that sits on the driveway and tires were low as 28 on a cold 35*F morning. It might not be a bad sensor. If you haven’t already, just fill your tires up (if you have an air compressor) and drive around for maybe 1-2 miles. In case that doesn’t happen, restart the car. If you don’t have an air compressor, then drive to where you’re able to fill air in the tires and still drive around for 1-2 miles afterwards. It should be back to normal by then.

I don’t know where you’re located (27* F is way too cold for me), and what your normal tire pressure should be, but I do hope this helps.

IMHO, if you are able to have your tires filled up with nitrogen. I recommend it, as my tire pressures don’t drop or raise as much with the ambient temperatures. There is a huge debate on whether it does or doesn’t work, but if Porsche and Nissan GTRs have nitrogen already prefilled on their vehicles it says a lot. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
My normal winter car prep includes raising the cold pressure 4psi above recommended, just to accommodate the temperature induced loss of pressure.

which is likely your problem today.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Haven’t had this on the Pilot so far as I maintain my tires psi at 35 (garaged N.Cali), but it has happened to my Infiniti G37 that sits on the driveway and tires were low as 28 on a cold 35*F morning. It might not be a bad sensor. If you haven’t already, just fill your tires up (if you have an air compressor) and drive around for maybe 1-2 miles. In case that doesn’t happen, restart the car. If you don’t have an air compressor, then drive to where you’re able to fill air in the tires and still drive around for 1-2 miles afterwards. It should be back to normal by then.

I don’t know where you’re located (27* F is way too cold for me), and what your normal tire pressure should be, but I do hope this helps.

IMHO, if you are able to have your tires filled up with nitrogen. I recommend it, as my tire pressures don’t drop or raise as much with the ambient temperatures. There is a huge debate on whether it does or doesn’t work, but if Porsche and Nissan GTRs have nitrogen already prefilled on their vehicles it says a lot. Just my $.02
Nitrogen filled tires is a scam. I realize probably many threads on that issue.
Airplanes, and race cars, yes. Passenger cars no, just an upsell.
Our temperature fell to - 17C today and the tpms light came on.
As Rocky said just inflate 4 to 5 psi above recommended pressure this time of years.
Cold temps always do this.

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dragged out the air compressor this morning and filled up my tires. Just found it strange that they were all low and only one was indicating that it was low. I love the feature of the car beeping when the air is up to pressure.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Nitrogen filled tires is a scam.
You got that right. Air is already 79% nitrogen anyway and pure nitrogen reacts the same way when temps drop. Should use helium and you car will be lighter 😉

·
Registered
295 Posts
You got that right. Air is already 79% nitrogen anyway and pure nitrogen reacts the same way when temps drop. Should use helium and you car will be lighter
Air is 78% while Nitrogen is between 93-95% it’s never 100%.

Nitrogen will slow the amount of tire inflation loss to about one-third of what you’ll experience with air. This means instead of losing one to two PSI per month, you’ll lose ⅓ to ⅔ PSI per month. You’ll still need to check and top off your air roughly every other month to stay within the ideal inflation range.

I live very close to my local Costco which has self serve nitrogen fills. The main reason why I like nitrogen vs air filled tires is because I don’t drive my other vehicles as much that sit in the garage or on the street for months at a time especially during the lockdown times SIP of covid. My neighbors are the same way, but their tires always seems to be losing pressure faster than mine.

Costco always includes new tires with Nitrogen for free.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a scam, if it helps any I see it as a time saver.

To each it’s own.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Air is 78% while Nitrogen is between 93-95% it’s never 100%.

Nitrogen will slow the amount of tire inflation loss to about one-third of what you’ll experience with air. This means instead of losing one to two PSI per month, you’ll lose ⅓ to ⅔ PSI per month. You’ll still need to check and top off your air roughly every other month to stay within the ideal inflation range.

I live very close to my local Costco which has self serve nitrogen fills. The main reason why I like nitrogen vs air filled tires is because I don’t drive my other vehicles as much that sit in the garage or on the street for months at a time especially during the lockdown times SIP of covid. My neighbors are the same way, but their tires always seems to be losing pressure faster than mine.

Costco always includes new tires with Nitrogen for free.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a scam, if it helps any I see it as a time saver.

To each it’s own.
Woah woah woah... Costco has self serve nitrogen fillers? I never knew about this. Is it like every other gas station where there's a thing to fill up air from, or is it in the tire center?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I knew Costco fills with nitrogen, just never knew some may have self serve also. Mine requires the tire employee to check and fill or top them off.

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
295 Posts
Woah woah woah... Costco has self serve nitrogen fillers? I never knew about this. Is it like every other gas station where there's a thing to fill up air from, or is it in the tire center?
Yes they do now, majority of Bay Area Northern Cali has been implementing them for the past 4/5 months now. It took away time from the tire guys to do actual work. They have 2 self serve stalls in the parking lot. Ill take pics in the morning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I knew Costco fills with nitrogen, just never knew some may have self serve also. Mine requires the tire employee to check and fill or top them off.
Yup, I’ll take a picture of my local Costco tire center as I’ll be getting groceries and other thing I don’t really need in the morning LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Yup, I’ll take a picture of my local Costco tire center as I’ll be getting groceries and other thing I don’t really need in the morning LOL!

·
Registered
259 Posts
View attachment 141300 We had a cold day today. It is showing one of my tires as low, but the other three have similar pressures. Anyone know why it only blinks for one tire when they all appear low?
The one in red hit a threshold when the tires were cold and illuminated until you put air in. In other words, the cold air pressure of that tire is likely less than the others, even though they look close now. I assume you took the photo after driving.

An underinflated tire typically heats up quicker (causing tire pressure to increase faster),which can mask the difference until they cool back down.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clear as mud?
Definitely makes sense. Just different than my Dodge Ram. When a tire registers low pressure, it goes away when it heats up with driving if it goes above the threshold. Now that I know what to look for on the Pilot, I’ll be able to correct it quickly. Things like that bug my wife.
Thanks for the lesson in how it works.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Definitely makes sense. Just different than my Dodge Ram. When a tire registers low pressure, it goes away when it heats up with driving if it goes above the threshold. Now that I know what to look for on the Pilot, I’ll be able to correct it quickly. Things like that bug my wife.
Thanks for the lesson in how it works.
Pure inference...I could be wrong, but this is all that makes sense to me given the photo you posted

·
Registered
846 Posts
WelI I now live in an area of the country which has four seasons and the temperature can vary greatly not just month to month, but day to day. The Nitrogen which is free at Costco helps prevent sudden loss or gain of air pressure in the tires.

Now if I was still living in the Dallas area, then I would be putting R12 in the tires to help keep them cool, LOL! Of course there was the Ford dealership in Rockwall, TX that wanted $200.00 for nitrogen fill when I purchased a new Ford Edge. Must have been because of the Texas oil price drop and they had to make a profit somehow?????

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Its nice that Costco is giving away free nitrogen (air). But if your going out of the way to Costco just for the nitrogen, I've got some Ocean Front Property In Arizona I'll sell you. (Hence the song)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts