Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After checking prices, the only practical option is to go with after-market wheels for the winter.

I want to be able to continue reading the tire pressure.

The two types of TPMS sensors seem to be pull-through and clamp-in. Pilot wheels use the clamp-in, while most after-market wheels use the pull-through type.

The guy at Tire Rack said they include the factory sensors, which kinda confused me since the Pilot factory sensors are clamp-in.

What should I be looking for to ensure that they work like my current sensors?

Years ago I bought Shrader pull-through sensors for my 2012 Odyssey after-market wheels and never had any issues, but the Odyssey was only able to illuminate one light rather than indicate individual tire pressures.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I used OEM sensors purchased from RockAuto in my winter steelies. They are the same type of sensor that are used in the stock aluminium rims. The TPMS picks up the signal from the sensors quickly after changing out the rims and tires without any reprogramming.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does this work, exactly? Do you mean the computer can figure out which sensor is in which wheel and can read the pressure from it without being told sensor ID is LR etc?

·
Registered
857 Posts
How does this work, exactly? Do you mean the computer can figure out which sensor is in which wheel and can read the pressure from it without being told sensor ID is LR etc?
As long as the sensor frequencies match OEM, which is 433MHZ, the TPMS computer will figure out each wheel and tire pressure. There is a receiver in each wheel well that picks up the signal from each sensor and it will reset after a short drive with the new tires/rims. No reprogramming is required if you use the OEM type sensors for the 3rd gen Pilots.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Check your local tire shop, as I think they will still need to be programmed. See if they'll sell you programmed 433mhz sensors installed at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The following article refers to sensors supporting different protocols: 3 best practices for TPMS sensor replacement - tire pressure monitoring sensors

Looks like the after-market ones are about half the price of the Honda sensors, so I would have to look for 433MHz sensors and get them programmed or configured to use the Honda protocol.
I purchased OEM compatible 433 MHz sensors from RockAuto for about $25 cdn each and they don't need reprogramming. I don't know what tire shops will charge you but I do know that Honda ones are about a $100 per sensor which is crazy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I purchased OEM compatible 433 MHz sensors from RockAuto for about $25 cdn each and they don't need reprogramming. I don't know what tire shops will charge you but I do know that Honda ones are about a $100 per sensor which is crazy.
You're right, I only had to program mine because I was trying to clone the codes from another set of sensors (for a different vehicle with a worse TPMS system). No reason why the default setting would not work in the Pilot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought the cheapest 18" steel wheels I could find, along with TPMS sensors from RockAuto as well. There was no problem with the Pilot reading the pressure from the changed TPMS sensors. I just had to drive around for about 10 miles and then everything was good-to-go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts