Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

TPMS Light

748 17
I bought an 07 pilot about a year Abo and the TPMS light has been on since I bought it.

last week I replaced all 4 TPMS sensors in the tires figuring the batteries were long dead. That did not solve my issue.

I assumed I probably had a dead receiver so I started letting air out of the tires to see which ones would show a low pressure light and to my surprise none of them tripped. The low pressure light.

From what I read the sensors I bought do not need programmed and the car will learn the new sensors. Either this hasn’t happened or I have another issue.

Where is the main TPMS computer located?

any other ideas?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Before you start throwing more parts at it, the system can provide info on what's wrong (or at least what it thinks is wrong) - if you short pins 4 and 9 in the OBD2 port, the light for each system (ABS, TPMS, etc.) will flash out the codes (so the ABS light flashes for ABS codes, the TPMS light flashes for TPMS codes, etc.). A long pulse = 10 and a short pulse = 1 - so code 32 would be three long pulses followed by 2 short pulses. The light turns off for what felt like 5 seconds or so between each code when I checked mine (I had 3 dead sensors - replaced them when I changed the tires the other day, and all works as it's supposed to). - if the TPMS light is on, then the system is disabled (won't read any of the sensors)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you start throwing more parts at it, the system can provide info on what's wrong (or at least what it thinks is wrong) - if you short pins 4 and 9 in the OBD2 port, the light for each system (ABS, TPMS, etc.) will flash out the codes (so the ABS light flashes for ABS codes, the TPMS light flashes for TPMS codes, etc.). A long pulse = 10 and a short pulse = 1 - so code 32 would be three long pulses followed by 2 short pulses. The light turns off for what felt like 5 seconds or so between each code when I checked mine (I had 3 dead sensors - replaced them when I changed the tires the other day, and all works as it's supposed to). - if the TPMS light is on, then the system is disabled (won't read any of the sensors)
Thank you. I did not realize that method would retrieve TPMS codes. Is there a document somewhere that lists what the specific codes are?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the codes by grounding 4 and 9.

Got a 32,34,36,38 and 41.

When I saw the 32-38 I figured I bought bad sensors but then the 41 popped (Abnormal Signal Reception Error) and makes me think the control unit may be faulty.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,090 Posts
Checked the codes by grounding 4 and 9.

Got a 32,34,36,38 and 41.

When I saw the 32-38 I figured I bought bad sensors but then the 41 popped (Abnormal Signal Reception Error) and makes me think the control unit may be faulty.
The 41 could be the result of sensors which aren’t transmitting at the correct level. Since you purchased them from Amazon there is the possibility they are counterfeits. Perhaps go to a tire shop and have them perform a check if your sensors are transmitting properly. Then you’d have a better idea if you’re up against bad sensors or a bad TPMS module.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's your problem. Cheap Chinese knockoff electronics rarely work at all, even less often on Hondas. Get some name-brand sensors (Schrader, Denso, etc) and try again.
Yep, I took it to the tire shop and they would not even show up on the scanner. They had decent enough reviews so I gave them a shot as they were only 30 bucks for all 4. They did sit on my shelf for about 9 months before I installed them as well.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
5,090 Posts
Yep, I took it to the tire shop and they would not even show up on the scanner. They had decent enough reviews so I gave them a shot as they were only 30 bucks for all 4. They did sit on my shelf for about 9 months before I installed them as well.
The original OEM TPMS sensors in our former 2005 Pilot were still going strong, after 16 years of operation, when we sold the Pilot. Sounds like the deal you got was too good to be true. I’m guessing you’ll go with some non-cheapos next time around.😁

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
TPMS light came on recently on my 2005. Replaced all myself with Schrader from Rock auto and I'm back in business.

Reactions: bmark0610
1 - 18 of 18 Posts