Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got new tires installed and upgraded to a full-size spare, and now my TPMS light is coming on during every trip. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes into a drive before it comes on, and then it stays on for the length of the trip but it will be off again next time I start the car. I figure that the 14 year old sensors were either very fragile or at the very end of their battery life and the tire change did them in. I don't really care to have the TPMS operational since I usually do an incidental visual check of my tires when I approach my vehicle to drive it.

Is there any way to disable the system and get this light to stay off? If not, has anyone ever removed their instrument cluster and pulled the bulb or placed black electrical tape over it? It's hard for me to ignore and is the only warning light on my dash.

Lastly, if that's too tedious of a job or if I'm likely to break brittle plastic clips or make small scratches in the dashboard while doing it, how much am I looking at to get all 4 tire pressure sensors replaced? Is that even a guarantee that the light will go off?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
DIY
"Install New TPMS Sensor DIY Without Needing Rebalance" on YouTube

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it worth purchasing the OEM Honda sensors? Or will any compatible aftermarket brand work?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts
Just don't get the Dormans. Two out of four crapped out on me, and each time you have to figure out which one, and then get them replaced. I didn't DIY the replacement and it was a hassle and an expense. Now that I've finally got sets working on my summer tires and my winter tires, I'm happily TPMS OCD-free. :)

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Before I go ahead and make the purchase, I just want to make sure no one has any experience actually pulling a bulb from the instrument cluster? (Or placing electrical tape over it.) I've done it before on a first-gen RX300 and an Xterra and it was very easy, but Honda seems to make seemingly easy tasks pretty complicated based on my experiences so far.

I see that you remove two screws to get the black bezel surrounding the instrument cluster off, and then it looks like there are four more screws to remove the actual instrument cluster itself. Then you unplug the two large electrical connectors.(based on this video) Beyond that, I am not sure if the white rear covering comes off easily, revealing all the individual bulbs to pull (or to place tape over). At 2:32 in the linked video, it looks like there are 2 clips visible. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is there any way to disable the TPMS light entirely? Mine is and have been broken for a while, but I check my tire pressure regularly so I don't need it.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L 4WD Nav
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been scouring the internet trying to find a picture of our instrument cluster with this white back panel removed so I can see how easy it would be. I might just go for it myself this weekend and see what I find. It seems like 2006-2008 would be right in the sweet spot where you can still easily access the bulbs in the instrument cluster -- anything later and it gets too complicated or soldering is involved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been scouring the internet trying to find a picture of our instrument cluster with this white back panel removed so I can see how easy it would be.
I would not mess with anything in the instrument cluster personally. A lot of expensive not available subparts and old brittle plastic clips. My suggestion would be to get the sensors replaced. I had good luck the VDO (Siemens) sensors that RockAuto sells. I got them put on at NTB with new tire purchase. They officially will charge you a bunch to install them but the counterman offered to do for free since its the same work. I was going to get a local filling station mechanic to do it before I decided for new tires. Its an easy job with tire machine, dont usually have to remove tire from wheel. He was going to charge me like 30 minutes to do it.

No programming or scan/trigger tool required. Just put on and drive for 10 minutes, just like service manual says.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts
No programming or scan/trigger tool required. Just put on and drive for 10 minutes, just like service manual says.
This bears repeating. Too often some less than honest place will try to charge you for "reprogramming." Caveat emptor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts