Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone

This my first post in this forum. :)

I bought a 2013 Honda pilot EX one month ago. Two days ago, I changed the all season tires to winter tires which I bought from other person.

Today, when I drove the car, the TPMS indicator is on, I checked the tire pressure, they are fine, around 35 psi.

I have two questions

1. How should I know if the winter tires I bought come with TPMS sensor? If not, the TPMS indicator will be on?
2. My Honda pilot is EX model, I can't find the TPMS reset button, so how to reset?

Thanks advance

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
The tires you bought have no sensors or the sensors are dead and need replacing. Only way to make the light go off is to fix or....

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Thank you for your reply
Do I have to install the TPMS sensors? Can I just drive as is?
Thanks again
Does not hurt to drive this way.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Do I have to install the TPMS sensors? Can I just drive as is?
If you bought the wheels and tires from this other person USED without TPMS be diligent and routinely check the tire pressure to make sure they are holding the psi you want. Keep in mind cold weather can decrease the desired psi a bit. Hopefully they are not over 6-7 years old.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
What's the DOT code on those tires?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you bought the wheels and tires from this other person USED without TPMS be diligent and routinely check the tire pressure to make sure they are holding the psi you want. Keep in mind cold weather can decrease the desired psi a bit. Hopefully they are not over 6-7 years old.
Thank you for your advise. The tires are used for one winter.
I will keep checking the tire pressure.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Week and Year tire was made is 4318
So in late 2018. That should be OK.

So basically you have two choices:

1. Get and install new Standard Motor Products or VDO/Continental TPMS sensors from here...

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor | RockAuto

Just avoid the Dormans. I know it's just a sample of one customer talking here, but two of the four Dormans I got were DOA, and I had naively gotten them well ahead of time of my install, so I had exceeded RA's retentive return window and had to eat the cost.

And get your 5% Piloteers discount, too.

RockAuto said:
    5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
    Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
    2. Live with the light and regularly check your tire pressure old school with a tire pressure gauge, which means squatting in the slush and freezing your knuckles every couple of times you pull into a Petro-Canada gas station to check and fill if necessary. Oh, the years I spent doing that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So in late 2018. That should be OK.

So basically you have two choices:

1. Get and install new Standard Motor Products or VDO/Continental TPMS sensors from here...

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor | RockAuto

Just avoid the Dormans. I know it's just a sample of one customer talking here, but two of the four Dormans I got were DOA, and I had naively gotten them well ahead of time of my install, so I had exceeded RA's retentive return window and had to eat the cost.

And get your 5% Piloteers discount, too.

2. Live with the light and regularly check your tire pressure old school with a tire pressure gauge, which means squatting in the slush and freezing your knuckles every couple of times you pull into a Petro-Canada gas station to check and fill if necessary. Oh, the years I spent doing that.
Thank you, I think I will drive as it until weather gets warmer.
And I work at home, don't drive much this year.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
I'm guessing you live/drive in areas where the roads get deep and they don't plow or plow much?

While I used to get really aggressive All terrain/snow tires for our vehicles, I learned that a decent set of all season radials work fine too. But the plow and salt lie crazy here, so it's rarely ever that deep anyways.

YMMV

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Just a update, I contacted the seller who I bought tires from. The TPMS have been installed in each tires, but it is GM sensor, I did a research online, it seems GM uses 433mhz.

Honda uses 315 mhz tpms?
I guess good to know the lug pattern fit? Did you know that, or did you get 'lucky'?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The Pilot wheels depend on a hub-centric fit. Folks using the GM rims need to use centering rings to locate the rims and support the hubs. Depending solely on the shear strength of the lugs is not a great idea.

Nice looking wheels on the car, BTW. (y)

Reactions: aloogatr and aggrex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Pilot wheels depend on a hub-centric fit. Folks using the GM rims need to use centering rings to locate the rims and support the hubs. Depending solely on the shear strength of the lugs is not a great idea.

Nice looking wheels on the car, BTW. (y)
Thank you for your reply

I haven't thought that, When I am looking for winter tires, I was focus on two things, the rims pattern (5 x 120) and tires size ( 235/60/18).

I thought that's good enough.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Just a update, I contacted the seller who I bought tires from. The TPMS have been installed in each tires, but it is GM sensor, I did a research online, it seems GM uses 433mhz.

Honda uses 315 mhz tpms?

Honda uses 315 mhz tpms?
Correct, Pilot TPMS sensors are 315 MHz. That would explain it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thank you for your reply

I haven't thought that, When I am looking for winter tires, I was focus on two things, the rims pattern (5 x 120) and tires size ( 235/60/18).

I thought that's good enough.

A little searching here will find some folks who have installed some pretty interesting GM wheels on their Pilots. They shared the dimensions of the rings, which are apparently a commodity not too hard to find. It's not like having custom parts made, just finding and fitting the right ones.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
All car wheels are lug centric.....if the center bore of the wheel is the same diameter as the hub, the wheel is both lug and hub centric. When the lug nuts are tightened, the wheel never touches the lug bolts, presuming the wheel/hub bolt pattern match. Hub centric rings may/may not be needed.....no vibration at hi-way speeds without rings.....good to go.

If you feel better using rings, go to Discount Tire and tell them what vehicle the non-Honda wheels are from and they will be able to furnish/order the correct size rings.

One other thing to consider.....the seating surface of lug nuts MUST match the seating surface of the wheel. There are multiple lug nut/wheel seating surfaces. If they don't match, the lug nut may loosen. Discount Tire can tell you the non-Honda wheel seating surface so that lug nuts can be matched.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts