Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 21 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Exactly my question. Mine just came on about a month ago and after reading some things online I came across an information that talked about checking the air on the tires as a low air would trigger that TPMS light on. Ok great, I checked all 4 tires and two were missing some air (not a whole lot to be honest) and the other two were just fine. Filled the two with low levels and the light went off. Not even 2 hours later the light was back on. I stopped and checked to see if I had a leak and the air was exactly to the levels I filled. I just kept on going and it went away. After that it comes on and off whenever it wants. Maybe a faulty TPMS sensors I guess.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If you have checked the tire pressure and they are inflated to what is written on the tire information decal in the door jam of the drivers door, the light should stay off. Otherwise the sensors need replacing.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
347 Posts
Exactly my question. Mine just came on about a month ago and after reading some things online I came across an information that talked about checking the air on the tires as a low air would trigger that TPMS light on. Ok great, I checked all 4 tires and two were missing some air (not a whole lot to be honest) and the other two were just fine. Filled the two with low levels and the light went off. Not even 2 hours later the light was back on. I stopped and checked to see if I had a leak and the air was exactly to the levels I filled. I just kept on going and it went away. After that it comes on and off whenever it wants. Maybe a faulty TPMS sensors I guess.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk
Batteries are probably on their last leg, replace the sensors!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Check tire pressure, if the pressure is OK , then the TPMS battery is probably going dead.
if tire is really low, ADD AIR in them.

If TPMS is going dead, I say, ignore them and let them all die out , it's a waste of money to replace them ( up to $120 for 4 sensors depending on brand/OEM )

Every time i go out to drive a vehicle, i do a VISUAL check, to see if there's any debris or animals resting under the wheels, and if the air is low in the tires, been doing this for almost 40 years without a TPMS.

#AntiNannyBS

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
If it's the light with TPMS letters, not the little tire icon, your sensors' batteries are dying. You can't just change the battery; you have to replace the sensor. If you got over 7 to 10 years of OEM sensor battery life, consider yourself lucky. I replaced mine when I got new tires, since you usually have to take the tire off the rim anyway to change them, as they're attached to the inside of the tire air fill valve stem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should be able to get at least 6-7 years and 100k out of the sensors. Think about replacing them if getting new tires around this time and mileage.
Did mine late 2014. I am about ready for new tires this time next year, and have over 100k on the set I replaced in 2014, so I will be replacing with the next set of tires.
If the tire shop gives you grief, do it yourself.
No reprogramming for the 03-08 using the sensors mentioned in my writeup: DIY TPMS sensor change -- Fix the TPMS light, no...

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
I'm with Sha93 on this one, I really don't need the TPMS at all. However, I'm annoyed by the light in my cluster.

What problems might arise from leaving the TPMS sensors dead in the wheels and pulling out the bulb in the cluster? Does that cause other issues?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Edited for double post. Cheers!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I'm with Sha93 on this one, I really don't need the TPMS at all. However, I'm annoyed by the light in my cluster.

What problems might arise from leaving the TPMS sensors dead in the wheels and pulling out the bulb in the cluster? Does that cause other issues?
How about just a strategically positioned piece of black electrical tape? Easy and guaranteed not to cause issues.

(Other than the searing knowledge gnawing at your brain that the light is still on under there.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hehe...all joking aside, how do I make that go away without replacing all 4 TPMS sensors I don't need?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If it bothers you, best way is to get new sensors in the tires. These can be bought online and DIY. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do this. Just make sure to buy reputable replacement parts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That pesky budget is making me wonder how annoying that light truly is, lol. I'm having a hard time justifying turning off a light for over $100.

But eventually I'll prolly get all OCD and fix the dang things. /sigh

·
Registered
159 Posts
Personally, I don't use the TPMS system and anytime I get new tired mounted I decline any TPMS sensor replacements. I have two full sets of tires/rims (winter and summer) and its just not worth it to be continually replacing the sensors when they go.

ALSO - the TPMS doesn't tell you the actual pressure of each tire on your dash, it only notifies you if a tire is low. So I still have to manually check tire pressure every now and then to keep everything consistent. I normally run my tires at 35psi (a little higher for cross country treks, a little lower for overlanding) and if a tire drops to 30psi I'll notice before the TPMS tells me anything is wrong. Just doesn't seem worth it.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Although I've spent the greater part of my life squatting and kneeling in icy slush at the gas station air pump, my time has come to call Roger Murtaugh on this.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Although I've spent the greater part of my life squatting and kneeling in icy slush at the gas station air pump, my time has come to call Roger Murtaugh on this.
Surprised that you don't proactively inflate your tires by an extra few psi in the late fall to keep the pressures at or above the recommended value during those bone chilling winter months of perpetual darkness in the great white north.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Surprised that you don't proactively inflate your tires by an extra few psi in the late fall to keep the pressures at or above the recommended value during those bone chilling winter months of perpetual darkness in the great white north.
Now, yes, and TPMS helps me make sure they stay good without chilling my bones, but I haven't always had such a convenient system or non-slow-leaky tires, rims or valves.

When gas station air pumps went up to a dollar, the cheap bastard in me could no longer countenance that, so I wised up and bought my own pump, which can serve me and my daughter in the convenience of our own bone-chilling perpetually dark garage.

One nice feature about this model is that you can set it for a desired PSI, start it and get in your car or somewhere warm, and it stops automatically when it reaches that PSI.

Not only is it easier on my old, cold bones, but I figure I'll be in the black on this investment in 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Nice find. There are a few places for Montreal and the South Shore, but they're all for bicycles except one. I know the place and I've never gotten gas there because it's a full serve and more expensive. I'd feel bad to use their air without getting gas, but if my fillup costs over a dollar more than everywhere else, I'm not ahead and it's a kind of Morton's fork. Glad I got my nifty little portable compressor.

1 - 21 of 20 Posts