Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between the two. If you had the choice, which one would you take:

a) Toyota 4Runner, V6, 4wd, Sports Edition (sticker price $31,100)
b) Honda Pilot EX (sticker price $30,500)

·
Registered
393 Posts
4Runner is UGLY!!

I cringe every time I see the back of a 4Runner. Looks like a goofy grin or something.

Fender flares are over done too. Too much plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the back, it doesn't look all that great, but from the sides it looks a lot better than the Pilot.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Should be a fairly simple decision- based on your needs & tastes. New 4Runner continues to be more "truck like" with legitimate off road capabilities. Not much cargo space. Personally I find the new design to be a little too "cheezy" with that trendy plastic cladding, also think interior space is still a little tight with lots of plastic... but how I miss that power tailgate window!

Assess your needs, then drive them both. Prices are comparable (especially if you add towing pkg to Honda)- so that should not be too big a factor. Both should retain value pretty well.

Some questions to ask yourself:

Gonna Tow? edge to Toyota
Gonna go off road? edge to Toyota
need more cargo/ interior space? Pilot
need third row seat? Pilot
Styling? thats up to you
like truck ride or plusher? thats up to you

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
seraphim, I was just wondering, have you had a chance to test drive the two? If you had done so, I don't think you'd be asking this question. I testdrove the new 4Runner, just the V6 SE, and for me, there was no comparison at all. The Pilot handled better, sounded better and cornered and accelerated better. I already had the Pilot when I testdrove the 4Runner, but wanted to see what it was like.

Of course, once you take it off the road, the 4Runner will outperform the Pilot, so your decision would be mostly dependent upon for what you're going to use the vehicle for.

I don't ever expect to go serious off-roading such that I'd have to discern between Pilot's and the 4Runner's chassis differences, suspension differences, torque distribution difference and etc. to decide which makes for a better off-roading vehicle.

If you're considering the Pilot, then may be the car you should be comparing is the Highlander. Or if you're really considering the 4Runner and wanted something from Honda to compare against, well, actually Honda doesn't have anything that will be a fair, "apples to apples" comparison to the 4Runner.

·
Registered
95 Posts
styling

GM must have planted some design engineers in the Toyota organization to make them think plastic cladding was a good idea. They wanted some one else to make the Avalanche mistake.

Now the Lexus version of the 4runner is nicely done, but way over priced.

·
Registered
330 Posts
seraphim said:
I'm trying to decide between the two. If you had the choice, which one would you take:

I haven't driven the 4Runner, but I did sit in it at the dealer. As I recall, the door entry wasn't tall enough for me to easily get in and out without bending my neck to avoid hitting the roof with my head. I couldn't see dealing with that day in and day out. Just my $0.02.

- shutrbug

P.S. I'm only 5'10" tall.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: styling

beowulf777 said:
GM must have planted some design engineers in the Toyota organization to make them think plastic cladding was a good idea. They wanted some one else to make the Avalanche mistake.

Now the Lexus version of the 4runner is nicely done, but way over priced.
Toyota actually "fixed" that cladding that most complained about... Before only the Limited models benefitted from paint cladding. Now, even the SRS can be had with painted cladding so it looks just like the Limited model, which looks the best IMO. Only the Sport model retains the standard gray plastic cladding, and I don't think you can get it painted even if you wanted to, from Toyota anyway.

Toyota still should have made a third row seat an option, just like it is on the GX470.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
seraphim said:

As a part of your decision process (if you haven't already), check out the August issue of Consumer Reports. One of the vehicles they reviewed this month is the 4Runner.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I had a 93 4Runner with 160,000 miles before I got the Pilot. I looked at all the SUVs and narrowed down my choices to the 4Runner and the Pilot. I went with the Pilot for one main reasons. It used regular gas.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well, you need to keep in mind most people are here because they preferred the Pilot, so what do you expect them to say? ;)

You really have to drive them both. The 4Runner is truck-based and will perform more like a truck. The Pilot will perform more like a car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
seraphim said:

I too came down to these two cars - bought the Pilot for three reasons:

1) Gas mileage - 4runner gas mileage was significantly less than Pilot
2) Insurance cost - 4runner insurance cost was SIGNIFICANTLY more than Pilot
3) Ride - 4runner is great if you're looking for a nice truck - Pilot is a car/truck.

Basically you should go with your gut - which one will provide you with the highest 'grin factor'. My feeling is that if the car won't make you grin when you climb into the seat :5: - it's probably the wrong car..

JJ

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We too were considering the new 4 runner. I went with the Pilot because of the seating and cargo space. Just made a lot more sense for everyday driving with occasional AWD needs. I was really disappointed in the looks. I think the last gen 4runner was perfect, this one is too cheap and exagerrated. I can't understand the angled C pillar on a square vehicle, or the ridiculous hood scoop. Side cladding is very Pontiac-ish...Vibe/Matrix are Pontiac/Toyota- so I'm sure beowulf777 is correct in his assumption about the design engineers.

I'm honestly glad I went with the Pilot, no buyers regret when I see a new 4runner. If my need were for a truck, then my story may be different. But I'd go for a Tundra in that case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by 74PILOTMOM
I think the last gen 4runner was perfect, this one is too cheap and exagerrated.
I agree completely. If the last gen 4runner was still being sold and it had a third seat, my decision may have been different.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
beowulf777 said:

I agree completely. If the last gen 4runner was still being sold and it had a third seat, my decision may have been different.
The last gen 4-Runner was a very narrow vehicle. Even a 2nd gen RAV4 has a wider stance.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
jay said:

The last gen 4-Runner was a very narrow vehicle.
Yeah, that's true. Otherwise I think it's a beautiful truck.

I'm now spoiled by our Pilot's w i d t h. She just feels HUGE inside, but she's packed into an incredible package only 1 inch narrower than a Yukon, and 2 inches SHORTER than a new Accord.

How the heck!? Amazing.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I stopped by the local Toyota dealer yesterday (it's closed on Sunday, so I was free to roam). I found an unlocked 4Runner and sat in the driver's seat.

It's lower and wider than the previous 4Runner, but much narrower than the Pilot. I figured I'd have a tough time finding a comfortable driving position, as the seat felt very low. The 4Runner is also lower than its predecessor, as I found it easier to get in and out. The build quality of the one I sat in was excellent, but I don't know that a V8 Limited is worth $40K+. I'd get an RX330 for 1000 more before I'd pay that for the 4Runner.

·
Registered
78 Posts
jay said:
I stopped by the local Toyota dealer yesterday (it's closed on Sunday, so I was free to roam). I found an unlocked 4Runner and sat in the driver's seat.

I'm glad our P&C partners don't insure this car dealership. Jeez...

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
'04 4Runner may get 3rd row option

Toyota dealer last night said that the '04 4Runner will have a 3rd row option.

That being said, and with the proverbial grain of salt added on top, I agree that the truck based 4Runner really isn't all that comparable to the van based Pilot. The Pilot feels roomier to me and I don't expect to do much off roading and if I really want to buy a plastic car, I can much cheaper ones for my 14-month old son!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I too had narrowed my purchase down to the 4runner or the Pilot. Went with the Pilot because I could sit in it. The seating comfort is far superior in the Pilot than the 4runner. I am 6' 3" and weight 275 lbs down from 299 lbs. If your are tall and big the Pilot will beat any of the other SUV's because I have to test the vehicle to make sure I can fit in them before I can even think about buying. The car salesman or saleswomen will tilt the seat back 45 degrees and then say "See you can sit in the drivers seat" good position for sleeping not too sure about driving. I have tested all the SUV's out there foreign and domestic. My head hit the roof and in several I had to bend my head down 2-3 inches just to sit in the seat. The Hummer H-2 was a screamer I had to bend over about 6 inches to sit in the front seat. Looks big on the outside but tiny on the inside. What a joke at 50k a pop. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts