Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1500 Lb Sea Ray and take it to the lake maybe twice a month in summer. I was interested in the tow package, and had an internet leasing person tell me I did not need the "Cooler Pakage" for towing this weight. Can I just get a hitch put on, or do I need the additional power steering and radiator cooler put on? We currently tow with his truck, but I thought it would be great to use my Pilot once in a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Power Steering and Automatic Transmission Coolers

I've been looking at the same issues, not wanting to pay the steep prices from Honda for the AT and PS coolers. I just added a DrawTite class 3 hitch myself, and was uncertain about the coolers.

From what I can gather, the AT cooler is strongly advisible regardless of whether you tow just to prolong the life of the transmission. Some articles suggest that a 20 degree drop in AT temperature can double the life of the transmission.

According to my dealer's service manager, the PS cooler is needed with any load that increases the engine temperature. Apparantly, the PS box is very close to the engine block and will increase in temperature along with the engine. A 10 min. trip to the boat ramp or a trip down the street with the little utility trailer probably won't affect it but but obviously engine, AT, and PS temperature all depend on the weight you pull, the distance you go, the hills you climb, and the ambient temperature.

The bigger issue to me is warranty. My dealer assured me that even if I didn't get a PS cooler, as long as I only did minimal towing (like the utility trailer around town), that they wouldn't consider my warranty void if the PS coincidently had an issue. They did caution me that not all dealers may be a lenient. Your mileage may vary.

Since I'm going to go to the trouble of installing the AT cooler, I figure I might as well do the PS at the same time since most of the effort is getting the front of the vehicle apart.

I'm currently looking at coolers that combine the AT and PS in one radiator assembly, such as the Maxi-Cool from Perma-Cool. It seems to be an economical and compact package, but I'm not sure how well it will work on the Pilot. Has anyone else considered such units?

Any particular recommendations or cautions with respect to such coolers?:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had similar issues with regard to the cost, value, and ability of the Honda coolers - a couple hundred $$ for some tubing with fins!

Canadian Pilot - those prices are pretty good, wish I would have found them before I purchased some basic coolers from here - total cost, delivered, about $65.

Here's one discussion that covers similar issues.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Adding AT cooler

You made a comment that was very interesting, about the cooler extending the Transmission life. Do you think it would make sense to add the AT cooler to make the transmission perform better even if I will never tow with my Pilot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AT coolers extend transmission life

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic transmission, but from what I've read and heard, transmission coolers can be very beneficial. Here is some info borrowed from Perma-Cool:

Automatic transmissions generate large amounts of heat and are totally dependant on the transmission fluid for cooling. When the fluid temperature exceeds 200°F the fluid deteriorates rapidly, diminishing its ability to lubricate and cool critical valves, springs, seals and other internal components, leading to premature failure and costly repairs. Over 90% of all automatic transmission failures are caused by overheating. A 20° drop in fluid temperature can double the life of the transmission! (see graph below).

Inefficient factory fluid coolers are typically located in the radiator's coolant holding tank. The hot trans fluid is cooled by transferring its heat to the colder engine coolant that surrounds it. The minimal temperature difference between the two fluids under normal conditions causes little, if any, drop in the transmission fluid temperature.

Transmission oil coolers perform best when installed in conjunction with the factory cooler and mounted in front of the radiator. With cool fluid re-entering the transmission, the valves, springs and seals perform as intended, resulting in smoother operation, positive shifts, lower floor board temperatures and extended life.

If you use your vehicle for towing, drive in stop-and-go traffic, or carry heavy loads, your transmission needs a transmission oil cooler.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts