Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2019 AWD Pilot touring edition and had a question for the forum about towing. We would like to purchase a small trailer camper that weights around 1,500 lbs. We would need to reverse it up our fairly steep driveway. I know we have a 5,000lb capacity with the transmission cooler, but was wondering if reversing the camper up and down on a fairly consistent basis would cause harm to the transmission?

Does anyone have any experience or insights into this? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We have a 2019 AWD Pilot touring edition and had a question for the forum about towing. We would like to purchase a small trailer camper that weights around 1,500 lbs. We would need to reverse it up our fairly steep driveway. I know we have a 5,000lb capacity with the transmission cooler, but was wondering if reversing the camper up and down on a fairly consistent basis would cause harm to the transmission?

Does anyone have any experience or insights into this? Thank you!
With a small trailer like you describe, I would not expect any problems. We have a steep drive as well, and tow an R-pod 178 (just under 3000 lbs.) with our 2018 EX-L. I have no problems reversing the trailer up our drive. Reverse gear should not put any more strain on the drivetrain than a hill situation going forwards in low. Just don't get into a jack-knife position and try to fix it with lots of revving and oversteering. That would be a recipe for heating things up. Keep the trailer and Pilot aligned and do a smooth reverse up the drive. Practice makes perfect when you pull a trailer. And happy camping!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,850 Posts
You should be just fine, go slow and keep it straight. Reverse has a gear ratio that is almost identical to first gear, 3.2 or so. The key is taking your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpful thank you! It looks like the 9 speed transmission has a gear ratio of 3.8 in reverse so sounds like there shouldn’t be an issue!

Should the normal awd mode work best for towing vs the sand snow or mud modes?

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a small trailer like you describe, I would not expect any problems. We have a steep drive as well, and tow an R-pod 178 (just under 3000 lbs.) with our 2018 EX-L. I have no problems reversing the trailer up our drive. Reverse gear should not put any more strain on the drivetrain than a hill situation going forwards in low. Just don't get into a jack-knife position and try to fix it with lots of revving and oversteering. That would be a recipe for heating things up. Keep the trailer and Pilot aligned and do a smooth reverse up the drive. Practice makes perfect when you pull a trailer. And happy camping!
Do you have an articulating hitch or a standard ball mount for reversing your pilot up the hill? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Do you have an articulating hitch or a standard ball mount for reversing your pilot up the hill? Thanks!
We use a Fastway e2 weight distributing hitch for towing. This hitch has friction bars on the sides to provide weight distribution and anti-sway. I take the bars off to navigate our steep driveway. If your camper is a low profile, like an A-liner or a pop-up type, you might not need a WDH. With our R-pod, we find that the e2 makes a huge difference in towing stability.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Very helpful thank you! It looks like the 9 speed transmission has a gear ratio of 3.8 in reverse so sounds like there shouldn’t be an issue!

Should the normal awd mode work best for towing vs the sand snow or mud modes?

thanks!
I would leave the transmission in normal mode. The VTM-4 system will sense when you need all 4 wheels in drive, as when you are accelerating from a stop with the trailer in tow. I would leave the snow mode alone unless it really is needed for snow conditions.

We have the 6 speed, so I'm not familiar with the 9 speed. Do you have a Low gear setting? If so, this could be helpful if you are towing on a hilly, twisty low speed road, to keep the transmission from excessive shifting.

There is a Towing forum here on Piloteers. You might want to check it out and post your questions there as well. Maybe someone who tows with a 9 speed has the answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts