Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a camper it is 23.5 ft long and is 4800lb towed it home (about 300 miles) no problems at all. i did install a brake cont. to the wiring in the car. it did help and i will be towing it around this summer. Just thought i would share what was a real life towing. I will post a pic. soon

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,267 Posts
You don't mention what year, & model vehicle you have. The max towing capacity for the recent Pilot AWD's is 5,000lbs and 3500lbs for the 2wd with an additional transmission cooler installed. You are only 200lbs away from that max, which is not too hard to meet or exceed once you start loading the trailer with personal items, clothes, food etc.

The Honda 6 cylinder engine has the power to pull more than 5000lbs. My concern would be over working the transmission leading to premature transmission failure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I currently own a 2016 Pilot AWD with the ATF cooler, which is rated for 5,000 lbs. The 2009-2015 Pilot 4WD with the coolers installed was only rated for 4,500 lbs, with one 150lb driver. I caution you that for long distances/less then ideal conditions (hills, weather, etc) it may be dangerous. Also please ensure you have an electronic brake controller and a weight distribution hitch.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
400 empty or unloaded? As mentioned before, your max tow rating is 4500 lbs. You are a lawyer's dream, proceed with extreme caution.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is the 4800# what the camper actually weighs right now calculated from a truck scale or is it the max gross weight the camper can weigh? Big difference.

My camper has a max gross weight of 5000# but weighed on the scales loaded with our gear is only 3800#.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts