Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the pilot is towing trailers that weigh more than 2000 lbs? Can you tow 75 mph without fishtailing? Any other comments. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know yet but i will in a couple weeks. I have a 2990 gross weight us cargo aero wedge cargo trailer. It tows fine empty but I really dont know loaded. Im planning a trip from lower new york to new hampshire in a few weeks to pick up a large load of our household goods that are at the wifes sisters house, leftover from a move from california . I have installed brakes on the trailer and am having a brake controller installed at the local rv place this friday . Should be interesting. will keep posted

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was under the impression that the terrorfying "fishtailing" trailer or "speedwobble":eek:, is usually attributed to the trailer... and not the vehicle. This effect would be based on the trailer's tongue weight&length, as well as adequacy of tires. I believe that a trailer is supposed to be equipped with brakes after a gross weight cap of about 3000 lbs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Davemac- you are right it is usually trailer problems, most commonly too little tongue weight.
The brake requirement varies state to state, one state requires brakes on ALL trailers! Here in SC it is 3000 lbs or 40% of tow vehicle weight, whichever is less, which in the case of a Pilot would mean about 1600 lbs. I've noticed the 40% thing seems to be fairly common. Other states require brakes only if needed to stop in some specified distance, regardless of weight.
I keep up on this because I happen to have 8 trailers sitting in the yard right now! :rolleyes:

Al

·
Registered
385 Posts
AlH, based upon your "signature" you have several options with which to pull them:D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey ifome,

I will be towing a Honda Civic from Phoenix, Arizona to Greene, Iowa around the beginning of October. A distance of 1700 miles. I'm not sure how heavy the Civic is, maybe 1200 to 1500 lbs. When I get back I'll tell ya how the Pilot did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Tony- You didn't say what year but the current Civic weighs about 2500 lbs!

Al

·
Registered
143 Posts
AlH said:
Tony- You didn't say what year but the current Civic weighs about 2500 lbs!

Al
I towed small cars with my VW Passat. I used a tow dolly which only has the front wheels on it. That makes the weight difference. The car could weight 2500 lbs but on the dolly is a lot lighter. I presume that is what Tony is referring .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trailer Brakes

FSDO,

I'm interested in how they do putting in your brake controller. My tent-trailer has electric brakes and I need to install a controller as well. So far have been reluctant because the car is only a month old. Did you get the dealer installed tow package? I'm curius if they have to run wires to the back for the controller or if they tap into existing connections of some sort. The dealer installed trailer electrical connections are all set up under the tail at the factory waiting for a short connection to the plug.

I did notice in the Pilot owner's manual that it said all trailers over 1,000 lbs towed by the Pilot should have brakes either electric or surge.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Trailer Brakes

dsmith said:
FSDO,

I'm curius if they have to run wires to the back for the controller or if they tap into existing connections of some sort.
Looking at the factory trailer add-on harness it has no brake wiring. Seems odd that Honda wants brakes even on relatively light trailers but doesn't have the wiring in the kit:( For a few dollars extra they could have made a real PITA easy.

A relatively heavy wire will have to be run from the battery to the brake controller then from there to the hitch plug. And since Honda only included a 4 way plug it will have to be changed out to at least a 5 for the brakes.

Al

·
Registered
21 Posts
BMWRT said:

I used a tow dolly which only has the front wheels on it. That makes the weight difference. The car could weight 2500 lbs but on the dolly is a lot lighter.
I may be missing something, but I really don't understand how using a tow dolly will make a car lighter. The front wheels are on the dolly, the back wheels are on the ground. Instead of having the four car wheels on the ground behind the truck, there is now the tow dolly wheels, holding the front wheels of the car and the back wheels on the ground/. Isn't this adding the weight of the tow dolly instead of taking weight away? :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 3200 GVW pop-up. The Pilot handle very well. However, the rear drops almost 2.5". The shocks run through the coils, so I can't install airbags. Anybody have an idea on airshock?

·
Registered
263 Posts
conundrum

Normally, a reasonable, and oftentimes more appropriate, alternative to airbags would be a weight distributing hitch. However, page 253 of the Pilot Owner's Manual says:

"A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your Pilot as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling stability and braking performance."

This is like saying you shouldn't sit in the driver's seat to operate the Pilot because you might position the seat incorrectly! Clearly, a reasonable expectation is that appropriate equipment will be used and it will be adjusted properly to perform it's intended function within specified limits.

After reviewing the weight ratings for the Pilot, I've come to the conclusion that the real reason for this negative recommendation is that the front axle of the Pilot has a low weight rating (as compared to the rear axle) AND there's already much more weight on the front axle than the rear axle.

Specifically, the GAWR is 2865 in front and 3155 in rear. But curb weight on the EX is 2530 in front and 1909 in rear. That leaves only 335 pounds of capacity in front. Given that Honda targets the Pilot to families, they may assume that the majority of this capacity will be used by passengers, leaving little room for forward weight distribution.

The table in the manual shows the suspension dropping 1" per 150lbs. Given this, huntz's trailer is very well balanced, with a tongue weight of 350lbs, or about 11% of trailer weight. You could get back about 3/4" if you can redistribute the weight to reduce the tongue weight to about 250lbs, which at 8% is at the low end of the range recommended in the Pilot manual. However, you'd be more susceptible to trailer sway.

Personally, I'd do the math for your particular situation, and use the weight distributing hitch if appropriate. Check your math by getting weighed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
trailer brakes

dsmith
Yes i got the factory tow package with the coolers and all had it installed before delivery. And no there is absolutly no provision for brake wiring anyplace. Being a novice at this sort of stuff (towing installations ) but being an airplane mechanic that has installed all kinds of wiring etc in 12 v systems i thought i might try myself but lacking any wiring diagrams and fearing i might wreck some computer part of fry something i decided to get the controller done by someone who knows what they are doing. i had initially purchase a draw tite controller and lots of plugs and stuff from a nice trailer place in upstate new york via the internet after reading the instructions and all the warnings about how hookling a certain wire to a certain other wire in various models of car with anti lock breaks can burn stuff up i was definely putt off from attempting this and sent it all back .And this guy at the camper barn is going to install a tehonska ( opps spelling) system ill let ya know how it goes friday.

·
Registered
226 Posts
HOnda screwed up...

What were they thinking?
They state in their owner's manual that any trailer that weights more than 1000 lbs should have electric brake. Then they sell you the towing kit that doesn't provide wiring for the electric brake connection? How much were they saving by doing this?
Now you have to take it to RV stores or Uhaul and have the thing re-wired. This is really really frustrating and stupid.:3:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Did they say Electric Brakes or...

brakes? I'm at work and don't have my manual handy. If they said just "brakes" it would make more sense since surge type brakes wouldn't require that extra wire. That doesn't mean it isn't frustrating to those of you who are using electric brakes; but would at least indicate Honda wasn't completely spaced out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good point

Your point is well taken...
Isn't surge brake pain to use when you are trying to back up your trailer up the hill? How well does it work?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
How much was yout tounge weight?

How much was yout tounge weight?
2.5" drop seems like a lot?
How loaded was the back of the Pilot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The tongue weight is just under 400#. I know the max tongue weight is 450, but I also know that there are ways to increase your capacity. My first idea was airbags, but the shocks run through the coils, my second idea is air shocks, but I don't know if I want to go that far. Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts