Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus with weigh distribution hitches on a 2011 pilot. I know the manual says not to use one but the place I’m buying my camper from suggests one. Anyone have problems if they did use one? I am going to be pulling a Jayco hybrid camper that is 3400 lbs dry. Any insight on that as well would be great as this is my first time pulling anything with the pilot and to be honest im a little hesitant. Thanks In advance!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Many who have towed larger campers have used one and I think you should as well if you go over 3,000 lbs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This seems to be a big debate online for Pilot and Ridgeline owners since the owners manual says not to use a WDH. How much $ are they quoting for it? I have a 2009 and am buying a Jayco that is 2700lbs dry. A friend who tows regularly recommended an anti-sway ("sway bar") hitch just to be safe. You could get a quote on that type of setup and go that route, or you could follow what Honda says and not add one, and see how it goes for your first season.

However, the dealer recommending it to you may know best - as 3400lbs + gear and people will quickly get you close to (or over) 4500lbs. The WDH would likely help trailer handle better when pushing the limit. Then there are other questions - how far are you going? Is it hilly or flat, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will not be traveling far, most trips 60-100 miles. I see a lot of pilot owners are using the WDH. Wondering if anyone has had any issues due to using one. I have also considered an anti sway electronic controller that uses your trailer brakes to control the sway when traveling over 45 mph. My only concern is, the squat that my pilot is going to have if I don’t use a WDH. I haven’t picked up my trailer yet so I’m not able to see how much it is going to squat the rear end. I’m leaning toward the Anderson WDH but don’t want to wreck other things on the vehicle by doing so.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I tow an Rpod 178 (about 3000 lbs) with my 2003 Pilot. I use a Fastway e2 WDH rated at 6000 lbs, and a Prodigy brake controller. I towed the Rpod about 100 miles home when I bought it, without the WDH. The rear end bounce and sway was bad. The Fastway controls all that motion and makes a huge difference. IMHO, a WDH is a huge plus.

I read the reviews on the Anderson, and it sounds very iffy to me. Anderson seems to rely on some sort of friction magic compressed within the hitch ball? Does not seem durable, lots of complaints. The Fastway works well, is fairly easy to set up, and has a great track record and warranty (made by same folks who make Equalizer hitches). Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tow an Rpod 178 (about 3000 lbs) with my 2003 Pilot. I use a Fastway e2 WDH rated at 6000 lbs, and a Prodigy brake controller. I towed the Rpod about 100 miles home when I bought it, without the WDH. The rear end bounce and sway was bad. The Fastway controls all that motion and makes a huge difference. IMHO, a WDH is a huge plus.

I read the reviews on the Anderson, and it sounds very iffy to me. Anderson seems to rely on some sort of friction magic compressed within the hitch ball? Does not seem durable, lots of complaints. The Fastway works well, is fairly easy to set up, and has a great track record and warranty (made by same folks who make Equalizer hitches). Just my 2 cents
Any issues or concerns you’ve noticed with using a WDH since Honda says not to use one? Just don’t want to wreck anything on my vehicle.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I can't answer to why Honda discourages the use of a WDH. I chose to ignore that guidance, and I feel comfortable using a WDH with my Pilot. By the way, there is a towing forum here on this website that would be the best place for you to dig a little deeper. All the best, welcome to Piloteers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts