Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to tow a 3000 lb. trailer with our 2011 Pilot. What have you been doing ? Special hitch ? Trans.cooler ? Thanks !

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
FWD or AWD? What trim level? An AWD model with the tow package can tow up to 4500 lbs.

I'm assuming you don't have a hitch which means you don't have wiring. Go to E Trailer and pick up the wiring kit that uses the factory harness and you will need a brake controller harness. Get an appropriately rated hitch. 3,000 lbs is borderline so I'd at the very least get a good sway control setup, you should probably look at weight distribution as well.

Reactions: Bobq

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWD or AWD? What trim level? An AWD model with the tow package can tow up to 4500 lbs.

I'm assuming you don't have a hitch which means you don't have wiring. Go to E Trailer and pick up the wiring kit that uses the factory harness and you will need a brake controller harness. Get an appropriately rated hitch. 3,000 lbs is borderline so I'd at the very least get a good sway control setup, you should probably look at weight distribution as well.
Thanks ! 4 WD has hitch that says 4,500 lbs. no wiring, have to get brake setup ! Trailer place wanted $900 to put electric brake setup on it ! Ouch ! Will wiring place have electric brake ? Thanks so much ! !

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I'm not sure what all you are asking but you can buy the rear harness for less than $100. The brake controller harness is $40 or so plus the cost of the brake controller. It's all plug and play if you get the right stuff, which is why I recommend going on E Trailer's website.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
E-trailer is a good online information source for all things towing related. They sell stuff, but they also have good DIY videos on towing related questions.

FYI, I tow a 3000 lb. travel trailer with my 2003 Pilot. I added a Hayden 678 transmission cooler. I tow with a Fastway e2 6000lb. rated weight distribution hitch, and I use a Prodigy P2 brake controller. You need a 7way connector at your hitch to make everything work. I had to run a home brew harness on my 2003, as the EZ ready made set up was not already baked in on the old Pilots.

Educate yourself! E-trailer is worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think that 4500 lbs is the max that your Pilot is rated to tow. This is only if you also have the auxiliary cooler. Talk to your dealer to verify this, or bring the Pilot in to a shop that installs hitches to check it for you. Don't trust what I say on this forum, if you are not sure, have a pro inspect your vehicle first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that 4500 lbs is the max that your Pilot is rated to tow. This is only if you also have the auxiliary cooler. Talk to your dealer to verify this, or bring the Pilot in to a shop that installs hitches to check it for you. Don't trust what I say on this forum, if you are not sure, have a pro inspect your vehicle first.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
It sounds like you are unsure I'd definitely go to the dealer and have them tell you if you have an ATF cooler. Or a trusted shop might run out and check real quick for you if you don't know what you're looking at.

You definitely need a 7 way IMO since you need to control trailer brakes. Again, E-trailer has a plug n play kit.

Go on E Trailers website and watch the installation videos, get yourself comfortable with the parts and where they are installed and how, then move forward with all of this. You can call them too, they have good customer service.

Reactions: STMech
1 - 13 of 13 Posts