Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share your experience pulling a travel trailer with a 2015 AWD Pilot Touring? I am considering getting a camper, but not sure of the limitations of the Pilot or how it would do.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Did you read the manual? It will give you all of the limits that you must abide by. As far as towing near those limits with a travel trailer, it won't be fun. It will be even less fun if you live in a hilly or mountainous region. Not a lot of hp/tq and 5 forward gears don't equate to diesel-like towing performance.

I pulled the page below from the Owner's Manual on Honda's website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you read the manual? It will give you all of the limits that you must abide by. As far as towing near those limits with a travel trailer, it won't be fun. It will be even less fun if you live in a hilly or mountainous region. Not a lot of hp/tq and 5 forward gears don't equate to diesel-like towing performance.

I pulled the page below from the Owner's Manual on Honda's website.

View attachment 136613
Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
**** I DO NOT recommend what is about to be said below...

Admittedly I’ve towed over the recommended 5,000lb limit A few times.
Quite a few times I’ve needed to get my Integra or CL-S from Riverside Ca. to Gilbert AZ. and my only option was a car trailer. The car and trailer came out to about 5,200 lbs... EVERY TIME THE PILOT PULLED IT EASY, NO PROBLEM AT ALL, and for a couple tows I’ve had a 2” leveling kit on front and back with 255/55/18 BFG KO2’s
There’s some good climbs along the way too, but the Pilot does have the gearing and HP to get the job done.

HOWEVER, I’ve since put on 32” 265/65/18 BFG KO2’s and they have effected my MPG noticeably. It takes more torque to get that big ol stiff heavy tire to rotate, especially when weighed down. Going up inclines while towing at the max (WITH THIS TIRE SIZE) puts noticeably more strain on the drivetrain. Nothing crazy, I just need to pull over to right more often and drive slower going uphill, and no more cruising at 70 with the trailer, jk... or am I...
I’ve never had a problem with over heating and I routinely drive for hours through the California desert when it’s 115* out. The Pilot is tough. Be good to it... Take care of it... and it’ll take care of you.

On 2nd thought, you don’t have to be good to it, and you don’t have to take good care of it, you could beat it to hell, BUT, just make sure you maintain it, and it’ll be good to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quite a few times I’ve needed to get my Integra or CL-S from Riverside Ca. to Gilbert AZ. and my only option was a car trailer. The car and trailer came out to about 5,200 lbs... EVERY TIME THE PILOT PULLED IT EASY, NO PROBLEM AT ALL, and for a couple tows I’ve had a 2” leveling kit on front and back with 255/55/18 BFG KO2’s
There’s some good climbs along the way too, but the Pilot does have the gearing and HP to get the job done.

HOWEVER, I’ve since put on 32” 265/65/18 BFG KO2’s and they have effected my MPG noticeably. It takes more torque to get that big ol stiff heavy tire to rotate, especially when weighed down. Going up inclines while towing at the max (WITH THIS TIRE SIZE) puts noticeably more strain on the drivetrain. Nothing crazy, I just need to pull over to right more often and drive slower going uphill, and no more cruising at 70 with the trailer, jk... or am I...
I’ve never had a problem with over heating and I routinely drive for hours through the California desert when it’s 115* out. The Pilot is tough. Be good to it... Take care of it... and it’ll take care of you.

On 2nd thought, you don’t have to be good to it, and you don’t have to take good care of it, you could beat it to hell, BUT, just make sure you maintain it, and it’ll be good to you.
Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

I don't recommend this either. Especially if you want your Pilot to be free of some major repairs (transmission) in the future. If this kind of towing is something that your going to do (even one time), buy a vehicle where the engine and transmission are not sideways under the hood or maybe rent a truck. Keep your loads light if you must.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L and 2019 Chev Corvette 2LT
28 Posts
My guess is Transmission heat would be your biggest issue. I've towed lighter stuff with ease but not high and heavy stuff

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
My guess is Transmission heat would be your biggest issue. I've towed lighter stuff with ease but not high and heavy stuff
I tow occasionally a small flat bed utility trailer to haul a riding lawnmower or to the lumber yard for small weekend projects or I may use my 10x12 box trailer to haul a mattress, stove, washer and dryer etc. To me, the thought of using a load stabilizer system on a Honda Pilot to make it work is just forcing something that wasn't meant to be.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I used to tow across that same SoCal to Arizona desert prior to owning the Pilot. The summer heat is brutal. A friend wanted to tow with us in a car that was way below the duty, plus he had a heavy foot to boot. His first trip cost a transmission and a week, and that was after our 'regular' group all told him to just stop by the car rental place and get a SUV for the duty. His first trip with a rented SUV was fine but he bitched about the cost and the aggravation of having to go pick up and return the truck; we got back late on Sunday after that store was closed so he had it an extra rental day. Still cheaper than the trans and the week without his car. IIRC, that was about his last towing trip with the water-toys group.

Towing is always a compromise. The extra weight is tougher on the driveline. Consider how load and fuel consumption go hand in hand, and decide how much extra load it takes to move into the "abuse" category. If your fuel consumption doubles, it's more than twice the total driveline load. Decent trailers have brakes on them, but just getting big stuff rolling is a challenge especially up hills. Add some extra summer summer heat for fun. And while a car may seem to do OK in normal driving, consider how it will do in an emergency situation. Might be a sudden stop needed mixed with a sudden lane change. The trailer will steer the car a lot. Tow ratings consider some margin of safety for those situations. How much of that margin are you willing to give away? There are more than plenty of vehicles made for towing heavier loads. Rent one.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
A lot of people come on here looking for towing advice. While Pilots are able to tow, that doesn’t mean they are the best for that job. These aren’t heavy duty cars and the engines while great for everyday jobs aren’t the best for towing. They can do it, but there are many better options. You won’t destroy your car towing, but it will put a lot of wear on the transmission and engine.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I usually leave the towing to my suburban and I don't go over anything 3500 lbs ..just in case I do need to pull it with the Pilot in an last minute break down from the suburban.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

Or you will end up like FORD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts