Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we purchased our Pilot we had the dealer install an aux tranny cooler. Its been working great. Today we ordered replacement brakes: Z36 Truck & Tow Performance Kit with Powder Coated Calipers. We tow a 18' aluminum boat and wanted some extra stopping power, etc. Looking forward to seeing the increase in benefits are or arent.

Our hope is to keep this Pilot until it refuses to go another mile. We change the transmission fluid, oil, and filters every 35-40k. Things seem pretty dang to us.

Godspeed.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'd drain and fill at a minimum every 20k on our 6-speed transmissions. If towing, every 15k.
I highly recommend disabling the VCM to prolong the life of the engine and transmission, if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
When we purchased our Pilot we had the dealer install an aux tranny cooler. Its been working great. Today we ordered replacement brakes: Z36 Truck & Tow Performance Kit with Powder Coated Calipers. We tow a 18' aluminum boat and wanted some extra stopping power, etc. Looking forward to seeing the increase in benefits are or arent.

Our hope is to keep this Pilot until it refuses to go another mile. We change the transmission fluid, oil, and filters every 35-40k. Things seem pretty dang to us.

Godspeed.
Sounds like some worthwhile improvements to make your Pilot an even better tow vehicle! There's always more you can do, but if those upgrades make it a comfortable towing experience then you are all set!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd drain and fill at a minimum every 20k on our 6-speed transmissions. If towing, every 15k.
I highly recommend disabling the VCM to prolong the life of the engine and transmission, if you haven't done so already.
Thanks - easy fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like some worthwhile improvements to make your Pilot an even better tow vehicle! There's always more you can do, but if those upgrades make it a comfortable towing experience then you are all set!
Time will tell. Our boat weighs about 4k fully loaded down. Thought the upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
259 Posts
4000lbs is unusually heavy for an 18' aluminum boat. Most of the welded 18 footers are in the 1100 to 1300lb range. Add 360 lbs for the motor and 600 for an aluminum trailer and that rig should not be over 2700 lbs with fuel and gear. My 16 foot rig is only 1650lbs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boat, outboard, fuel, trailer, batteries, spare tire, trailer step, accessories = 2893 pounds +/- 1,000 for gear, tackle, electronics, etc .

Might be pretty close to 4k?

·
Registered
130 Posts
One thing the kit I think you purchased did not include is brake fluid. I have not yet researched the right one for towing but I know brake fluid changes for weekend racing is very common so I figure I should research that when I do my pads and rotors.

I suspect the calipers might be OEM replacement that have been powder coated, if so, at least they will look very nice in red.

Please keep us posted! I have not yet decided on what company to go with yet.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
One thing the kit I think you purchased did not include is brake fluid. I have not yet researched the right one for towing but I know brake fluid changes for weekend racing is very common so I figure I should research that when I do my pads and rotors.

I suspect the calipers might be OEM replacement that have been powder coated, if so, at least they will look very nice in red.

Please keep us posted! I have not yet decided on what company to go with yet.
Excellent point! Additional stress on the brake fluid would warrant at the very least a bleed at each corner maybe once a season or after a trip where you were hard on the brakes. The fluid in and near the calipers could certainly get pretty toasty and degrade or boil, introducing air but I doubt you'd degrade the fluid in the main lines.

Reactions: awd.nv and cciowa
1 - 13 of 13 Posts