Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've looked thru and see mixed reviews so I'm asking for clarity.

My family is looking to buy a travel trailer with an unloaded weight of 3,660lbs (per the sticker on the unit). We plan to tow around flat Florida and maybe the southeast (ie no big mountains but possibly highways in the Appalachians in the future). Dealership installed hitch/ATF cooler. Planning to have the dealship install the brake controller as well unless I can find a good install video.

My plan is to stay as far below 5k as possible and never (or extremely rarely) carrying water (which bumps it up to almost 4k).

I'm not trying to push the limits but we really want more than a popup.

Am I being unsafe/unreasonable with what the Pilot can handle?
What weight should I strive to stay below?
Any brake controller recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are towing with our 2019 EX-L. We had the hitch/cooler installed by the dealership. I installed the brake controller myself.

We've been towing a Jayco Jay Feather 16XRB which has a UVW of about 2900 and we typically carry about 300 pounds of cargo. We have a high quality weight distribution hitch and the Pilot does GREAT through the moderate hills around Minnesota and Wisconsin. Before we bought the Pilot last spring, we were towing the same unit with a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with was rated for 4500lbs towing and even that towed the camper just fine. I realize these numbers are lower than what you're looking at but I believe that, as long as you get a good weight distribution hitch and a good, properly calibrated brake controller, you will have no trouble at all over the terrain you describe.

I'm new to the forums here but I plan on posting my brake controller pictures in the appropriate thread later today. I started with a Tekonsha P3 which I transplanted from my Jeep but ended up replacing it with a Curt Spectrum because I was able to mount it in a way that it doesn't look ugly (in fact, ends up looking nearly OEM).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts