Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to tow a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 3749 lbs. I have a 2014 EXL and was wondering how it would tow it. I know it’s pushing the limit when loaded(probably around 4250 lbs). With being based in the northeast I will be dealing with hilly terrain so I’m not sure if I’m looking for trouble doing this. I’ve seen posts for people towing smaller loads but not much in the 4000 lb range. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Looking to tow a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 3749 lbs. I have a 2014 EXL and was wondering how it would tow it. I know it’s pushing the limit when loaded(probably around 4250 lbs). With being based in the northeast I will be dealing with hilly terrain so I’m not sure if I’m looking for trouble doing this. I’ve seen posts for people towing smaller loads but not much in the 4000 lb range. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Is it possible? Yes.
Should you? No.
My No is based on safety and the desire for my Pilot to keep doing it's daily job for several years without any major repairs. (Transmission)
I'd rent.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,549 Posts
2wd/AWD? Transmission cooler? Number of passengers? Have you ever towed before? Do you have a brake controller installed? More information needed.

If you haven't read the owners manual then you might want to review these pages....

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2wd/AWD? Transmission cooler? Number of passengers? Have you ever towed before? Do you have a brake controller installed? More information needed.

If you haven't read the owners manual then you might want to review these pages....

View attachment 137109 View attachment 137110 View attachment 137111 View attachment 137112 View attachment 137113 View attachment 137115 View attachment 137116 View attachment 137117 View attachment 137118
I have the AWD Touring model. I also have a brake controller already, plan to have two adults and two children in the pilot during towing, and I have towed a little bit here and there but nothing with the pilot. I figure that puts me in the 4200 lb range for a max towing capacity which is right around where I think I'll be once I am loaded up. I have seen many posts on towing stuff in the 3000 to 3500 lb range but nothing about anything greater. The rv company says that they put the travel trailer I'm looking at on pilots all the time but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Or that he's thinking of the newer generation which has a higher tow rating.

·
Super Moderator
4,549 Posts
Gen 3's capacity is only 5,000 for the AWD with transmission cooler. My 2020 Passport Touring has the same capacity. My 2013 Pilot Touring had the OE hitch transmission cooler, however the only thing I ever used the hitch for was to put a spare key inside in case of an emergency. My tower is a less glamorous 3/4 ton PU.

I am going to assume you have the transmission cooler then as OE. Double check, if you already haven't, just to make sure. No cooler and your going to cook that transmission. The transmission's not going to like you anyways, as you are going to put quite a load on it, the engine for that matter is not going to like it. If this is a fairly common thing or long trips plan on doing transmission service more frequent than the standard recommended. Here is a link to the 2014 Honda Pilot service recommendations, both normal use and heavy use. Download or Save the Maintenance Manual Here

Do follow the recommendation for 91 octane. It will not give you any more power, contrary to the common myth, but it will help with pre ignition which can happen when you put the motor under the greater strain, especially if you are traveling hilly country.

I would error on the side of caution and go with the 4 person listing of 4100 lbs. The kids probably don't weight 150 lbs each, but they will have gear and from my experience most people tend to under estimate the gear that they put in the vehicle, and often under estimate the weight of their gear the actually put in the trailer as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I was more hopeful than truthful to myself about it all. Having a 3/4 ton would make things a lot easier. Just don't want to be purchasing on of those because I choose the wrong trailer. I'll be looking for a lighter one. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,549 Posts
Well I figure my 2020 Passport would make it at least a mile or two before it fell apart pulling the 4 horse trailer, or even a fully loaded 2 horse trailer. Thus the reason for the 3/4 ton. When it comes to pulling stuff, I error on the side of caution and make sure that the vehicle I'm using has far more capacity to pull than what I am going to pull. That way I have a little peace of mind, that and I follow the heavy use maintenance schedule. It would suck being stuck out somewhere with 4 horse and a dead vehicle. I have had a flat on a trailer before, but I always have two spares on the trailer.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
512 Posts
Well I figure my 2020 Passport would make it at least a mile or two before it fell apart pulling the 4 horse trailer, or even a fully loaded 2 horse trailer. Thus the reason for the 3/4 ton. When it comes to pulling stuff, I error on the side of caution and make sure that the vehicle I'm using has far more capacity to pull than what I am going to pull. That way I have a little peace of mind, that and I follow the heavy use maintenance schedule. It would suck being stuck out somewhere with 4 horse and a dead vehicle. I have had a flat on a trailer before, but I always have two spares on the trailer.
If you break down while hauling horses, you could always ride one to go get help.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
If you break down while hauling horses, you could always ride one to go get help.
Or just hook up the team to you vehicle and save $ by not having to call a tow truck.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
You are really close to the limits. If you run in any kind of hilly terrain you will really be straining the drivetrain and braking system. Some people tow near or over the limits of their vehicles regularly and claim to have no issues, I'd rather have more tow vehicle than I need so I'm safer in routine and emergency situations. A compact pickup or half ton style vehicle would suit you really well here. Even a properly equipped Durango can tow around 7500 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts