Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 EX 2WD model purchased second hand. It’s been working great since I have owned it. I added a towing wiring and have towed a small utility trailer over a 1000mile on level terrain. My question is...

I’m considering towing a small (<3000lbs) camper with my family and all our gear to Yellowstone next summer. Should I be worried? Will my 2WD Pilot be able to handle the trip successfully?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Pretty sure you will be over the limits, check your owner's manual to see what the rating is for your 2WD Pilot. I'm gonna go with no, don't do it with this vehicle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you add the transmission cooler I think you could do it just fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 2009 EX 2WD model purchased second hand. It’s been working great since I have owned it. I added a towing wiring and have towed a small utility trailer over a 1000mile on level terrain. My question is...

I’m considering towing a small (<3000lbs) camper with my family and all our gear to Yellowstone next summer. Should I be worried? Will my 2WD Pilot be able to handle the trip successfully?
Owner's manual. If it says no then no.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you add the transmission cooler I think you could do it just fine.

What makes you qualified to provide that reassurance?

Would you be willing to foot a legal bill if the OP got in an accident and was sued for towing over the vehicles rated limits? Do you have a thorough understanding of the vehicle dynamics associated with towing and the differences afforded by FWD vs. AWD?

Not trying to berate you, just seen this way too much on the Silverado forums, the "you'll be fine" mentality then damage to the vehicle or an accident occurs and none of the "you'll be fine"-ers are around to help pick up the pieces.

Bottom line to OP, figure out what your manual says your rated total combined weight ratings and tongue weight is and if you are over those limits the answer is NO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Would you be willing to foot a legal bill if the OP got in an accident and was sued for towing over the vehicles rated limits? Do you have a thorough understanding of the vehicle dynamics associated with towing and the differences afforded by FWD vs. AWD?

Not trying to berate you, just seen this way too much on the Silverado forums, the "you'll be fine" mentality then damage to the vehicle or an accident occurs and none of the "you'll be fine"-ers are around to help pick up the pieces.

Bottom line to OP, figure out what your manual says your rated total combined weight ratings and tongue weight is and if you are over those limits the answer is NO.
Thank you for all the comments. I never saw the Pilot as a good hauler beyond the typical small utility trailer. The owners manual rated this model at 3500lbs which seems high in my mind. This is our main family vehicle so I will not use it to tow a small camper. I can't risk irreparable damage.

Again...Thank you all!

·
Registered
219 Posts

Haha have you read the owners manual? I have so I guess that makes me qualified. He said he was towing a trailer under 3000lbs. The towing rating is 3500. I suggested adding a transmission cooler. Again, it will tow it just fine. I don't mean to berate you, but your soap box speech is not needed.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Woah there...no need to get all up in arms!
Giving advice doesn’t mean you are liable for anything. So this talk about footing the bill is a load of crap. This is the Internet after all. Following the advice of anyone on this page or any other forum is at your own risk. Common sense really.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Haha have you read the owners manual? I have so I guess that makes me qualified. He said he was towing a trailer under 3000lbs. The towing rating is 3500. I suggested adding a transmission cooler. Again, it will tow it just fine. I don't mean to berate you, but your soap box speech is not needed.

No I own a AWD model so I've never looked at nor care to look at the ratings for a FWD model.

The speech is ABSOLUTELY needed when it comes to tow ratings, too many people aren't looking at their manual or door jamb placard (on newer vehicles) to determine that and it is a danger to other drivers and themselves when they tow over their limits.

It just wasn't needed for you apparently, since you knew the manual rated capacity... sorry.

Woah there...no need to get all up in arms!
Giving advice doesn’t mean you are liable for anything. So this talk about footing the bill is a load of crap. This is the Internet after all. Following the advice of anyone on this page or any other forum is at your own risk. Common sense really.
Reread my post, I explained pretty well why it can be irresponsible to say such things. In this case it was not but I came from a Silverado forum where this happened all the time. I have 3 young children I put in my car so yes, there is absolutely a need to call out people when they are being irresponsible and putting themselves or others in danger with their actions.

You give people way too much credit assuming they all use common sense... trust me you are at the top of the internet forum intelligence ladder if you use common sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It does appear that your model is rated for up to 3500lbs. You can confirm that in your owners manual or here:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2009/Pilot/specs#mid^YF3849EW

I have a 2006 AWD model that is rated at the same towing capacity. I did add the transmission cooler when we acquired a popup camper and that's certainly a good move, particularly if you are going to be towing through the mountains. It was listed as a requirement on my year model in order to hit the 3500 capacity but I am uncertain about your 2009 model (again owners manual is your friend).

We recently upgraded to a new camper that is about 3000lbs. The camper has electric brakes so I invested in adding an electronic brake controller, and I'd never go back. I could tow without it, but felt a lot more pushed by the trailer. It only took one short trip for me to make that decision and it was well worth the small investment. I feel much more control and much safer with it, so I'd highly recommend it. With that, we really didn't have any issues towing it, and we pulled from sw mo up into the Colorado mountains this year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Simmer down, friends! The OP came for advice, not a lecture. Yikes!

We had a 2WD 2010 Pilot Touring. Tow ratings were 3500 lbs with the transmission cooler and the larger towing hitch, and I think a 350 lb max tongue weight, but some of that also depends on how much weight you have in your vehicle, gear, etc. and gross weights. (4WD Pilot was 4500 lbs and 450 lb tongue weight, I think.) Had an RV salesperson say it would be no problem going over that, but spidey senses told me otherwise (not to mention safety, insurance, etc. if something were to happen).

You'll definitely want the transmission cooler if your Pilot wasn't equipped with it from the factory. It's my understanding that it's very easy to install yourself if you have basic tools and some wrench turning ability. Also recommend making sure other periodic maintenance (transmission fluid, radiator flush, spark plugs, air filter, oil, etc.) are up to date since it's a pretty hilly drive in that area.

We towed quite a bit with our 2WD Pilot and it handled just fine. I believe there are aftermarket suspension air bags you can have installed in the rear suspension to help control sagging in the back from the tongue weight and to let the vehicle ride more level, if you are close on tongue weight. Despite some claims otherwise, I wouldn't recommend exceeding that tongue weight with the air bags, but they can help you see the road better so you don't feel like a commercial pilot taking off as you drive down the road.

Have fun in Yellowstone! The KOA in West Yellowstone was terrific.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts