Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tow my 2006 4x4 pilot about 2000 miles on a uhaul dolly with the back tires down. Is disconnecting the driveshaft enough to prevent damage? If so, anyone have advice on how to do this?

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I need to tow my 2006 4x4 pilot about 2000 miles on a uhaul dolly with the back tires down. Is disconnecting the driveshaft enough to prevent damage? If so, anyone have advice on how to do this?
The safest way to move an AWD vehicle is to have all 4 wheels off the ground to avoid damage.
To answer question, technically, Yes. But keep in mind that the rear differential gear will be forced to turn by the tires rolling. Might look for a YouTube video.
Usually 4 bolts up front, 2 bolt on the carrier bearing in the middle, and 4 bolts in the back.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
To ensure the AWD system is not damaged rent the proper trailer to keep all 4 tires off the ground. Keep in mind the expense of any potential AWD repair. I've seen city tow truck operators towing illegally parked or disabled AWD vehicles with no regard that the rear wheels were intermittently screeching down the road.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
It’s usually only $10 more per day for the car transport than the dolly.
Take it from a cheap bastard like me. This is what I would begrudgingly dig into my wallet for.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
OP, good advice here.

If the rental shop doesn't have one, find one. 4WD/AWD, -? Tow it on a trailer all 4 up, or a flat bed tow truck.

That's the reason, while once rare, nearly all the tow trucks now ( I know several who drive them) are tilt/flat bed tow trucks. B/C of the high percentage of 4WD/AWD vehicles in my area of the woods.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can disconnect the rear driveshaft and use a dolly but I would put it on a Uhaul car trailer and not mess with the drive shaft. So much less headache. Plus, when you get to where you are going or if you have a problem along the way all you have to do it drive the Pilot off the trailer and you are good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts