Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what kind of towing accessories I need if I just want to attach a bike rack? And will I need to change the location of the spare? I seem to remember reading that you need to do that with a regular towing package.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You should just need the tow hitch installed. I just had mine installed and they did not have to do anything with the spare. Not sure about any issues with aftermarket hitchs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re Towing Package for Bike Rack

My Pilot has the Honda towing package and I use it with a hitch-mount Thule bike rack. It is my understanding that you can purchase just the hitch from Honda or a 3rd party if all you need is a bike rack, but you need the complete towing (includes hitch, transmission cooler, power steering cooler and wiring harness) if you want to tow anything.

I never bothered checking before the hitch was installed but it doesn't appear that the spare has been moved. The Honda hitch provides sufficient clearance.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sdgordo77 said:
I seem to remember reading that you need to do that with a regular towing package.
You may be referring to the need to REPLACE the supplied temporary spare with a full-size spare when towing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the...

Tow Package with a hitch mounted Thule Swing Away rack and they didn't move the spare.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just buy the hitch

Don't need to move the spare.
The Hidden hitch is around $140... The Honda hitch is $180. The Honda hitch is much heavier duty model. HOnda hitch requirs 12 bolts, vs Hidden hitch requires 6 bolts. Hidden hitch weights less than Honda hitch.

If you ever want to tow anything, then Honda is better option. If you'd never tow, but just carry bikes, then Hidden hitch is probably o.k.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Has anyone ever confirmed that the warranty will NOT be affected by adding the hitch without adding the coolers? I have no intention to tow anything, if I do, I will add the coolers later, but I do not want my warranty to be voided because I only installed the hitch.

Who would be the authority on this?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
mattchalmers said:
Has anyone ever confirmed that the warranty will NOT be affected by adding the hitch without adding the coolers? I have no intention to tow anything, if I do, I will add the coolers later, but I do not want my warranty to be voided because I only installed the hitch.

Who would be the authority on this?
Innocent til proven guilty I say. Make them PROVE you DID tow!:D

Tell them to come to your house and show you your hitchbar and ball.

Don't sweat too much. If your dealer can't take your word, you need a new dealer.

·
Registered
407 Posts
OEM Hitch

Is it worth the extra money for the OEM hitch?

I am currently looking at a quote of 227.38 shipped.

I could probably get aftermarket for less, but I am not sure it would be worth it.

Any input? :confused:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: OEM Hitch

mattchalmers said:
Is it worth the extra money for the OEM hitch?
Only you can decide, but ask yourself if you ever MIGHT tow. If that answer is yes, spend the extra 75-100 clams and be happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts