Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 2008 - 2010 Pilot to pull a converted cargo trailer.I have seen lots of references to “towing packages” but can’t figure out whether there is also something that needs to go in under the hood ( a”cooler”?) in order to beef up the towing capacity, and what the capacity would be with all of the add-ons.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
The general specs say 3500 lbs for 2WD models and 4500 lbs for AWD models. Same for 08-10 models. Power steering and transmission coolers are required per Honda. I have both ready to install. However, we bought ours from my inlaws who towed without the coolers, albeit not on a regular basis. From Honda's website below:

Towing Capacity (lbs.)
3500†
† Towing requires installation of power steering fluid- and automatic transmission fluid-cooler, both available exclusively from your Honda dealer. Premium unleaded fuel is recommended when towing above 3500 lbs. Capacity of 4500 lbs. is for boat trailers and 3500 lbs. for all other trailers. Refer to the owner's manual for additional towing information.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
134 Posts
I can see the benefit of an ATF cooler, but the PS cooler seems a bit much to me. I've towed since day 1 and have neither, but it's possible Im doing horrible damage that just hasnt manifested itself yet (14 yrs/ 156K). I also change out my fluids more than most.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
I did a bunch of reading before buying mine (not that that proves anything either way), but I decided it would be a good call not for the driving per se, but for the backing the trailer down the boat ramp and what not. The extra movements of the wheel that you wouldn't have. Especially for me as I had never towed anything :D I'm afraid I'll end up like this guy at the ramp at 1:13!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I can see the benefit of an ATF cooler, but the PS cooler seems a bit much to me. I've towed since day 1 and have neither, but it's possible Im doing horrible damage that just hasnt manifested itself yet (14 yrs/ 156K). I also change out my fluids more than most.
Routine fluid changes / preventative maintenance is likely the reason for your success. Cooler ATF and PS temps can make a difference and these coolers are ez to install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts