Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently on my last leg of installing the Towing Package, installing the ATF Cooler. However, I noticed that the hose clamps are vastly different than anything I've seen (no screws to tighten/loosen). I've ask around and nobody else knows how to work them. The only thing I can think of is just to use a pair of pliars.

Anybody done the ATF Cooler kit and can shed some light?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
55 Posts
ATF Kit Hose Clamps

I have the cooler kits but no Pilot yet to put them on. However, the hose clamps you mention don't look too different than the OEM clamps on many vehicles. Basically they are C-shaped springs that you open by squeezing their tabs with pliers, and close by letting go (as you seem to have discerned). However, the ones in my kit (and probably in yours too) have a reddish retainer clip over the tabs that you would normally squeeze with the pliers. The retainers seem designed to hold the clamps in the most open position for ease of sliding over the hoses in order to get them to their proper positions. Then, when you pull the reddish retainers off (again by using pliers), the clamps will close. It is a thoughtful design actually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirmation. I've just gotten off the phone with Greg, another Pilot owner who completed the tow kit, and he was exceptionally helpful.

Doug

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) make sure you add ATF after the install!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Don't forget to bleed the air out of the power steering system.
Th einstructions are at the end of the install instructions, but most dealers forget to go that part.

"Instructions, we don't need no stinkin instructions!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I didn't see the instructions for bleeding the PS fluid. I had originally thought this was necessary but when nobody else mentioned it, I then thought otherwise.

I'll have to take another look.

Doug

BTW: By far the toughest part is installing the ATF Cooler. Those hoses/clips are hard to get off from. Long limbs works well here, too bad mine are short.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
dougtran said:
Hmm, I didn't see the instructions for bleeding the PS fluid. I had originally thought this was necessary but when nobody else mentioned it, I then thought otherwise.

I'll have to take another look.

Doug

BTW: By far the toughest part is installing the ATF Cooler. Those hoses/clips are hard to get off from. Long limbs works well here, too bad mine are short.
Start the engine turn the steering wheel all the way one way and all the way the other, or some such stuff!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts