Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We towed a 2016 Airstream Basecamp X trailer this year with the factory hitch and AT cooler.
Trailer loaded is 3500# with a tongue weight supposedly 450#.
When i put the trailer unloaded (2800#) on the hitch I was already hitting 460 pounds on a high capacity bathroom scale directly under the jack with the trailer level.
Loaded trailer it was maybe 470 ish, but I don't think we hit the full load of the trailer capacity. And adding water to the tank helped a bit because most of the tank is behind the trailer axle.
With that loaded and three people and a dog in the car the highway scale said we were at 1410 Kg on rear axle (1405 kg GAWR on the door plate)
It towed fine actually. No sway, good power. Easy really.
But we are cutting it pretty fine with tongue and axle weight.

What we want next year is to upgrade to the new 20 foot Basecamp X trailer, but that is going to be maxed at 4400# fully loaded with a tongue weight of 500# for the regular basecamp and 530# for the X version. Based on my experience with the 16 footer we are definitely going to end up over tongue and likely axle unless super careful packing.

The OEM hitch and user manual do not say anything about two ratings for the hitch/car for using a WDH, so I assume that's a non-starter for us to increase capacity - agree?
And without a second rating my hitch installer here says they won't sell me a WDH anyway.

Does anyone know if you can install another hitch with a higher rating say 6000#/600# tongue on the Honda Pilot?
ie Is the 5000/500 OEM hitch limited by the hitch or by the car itself as a TV?

Any other options you see besides a new TV for the new trailer?
Mike

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
We towed a 2016 Airstream Basecamp X trailer this year with the factory hitch and AT cooler.
Trailer loaded is 3500# with a tongue weight supposedly 450#.
When i put the trailer unloaded (2800#) on the hitch I was already hitting 460 pounds on a high capacity bathroom scale directly under the jack with the trailer level.
Loaded trailer it was maybe 470 ish, but I don't think we hit the full load of the trailer capacity. And adding water to the tank helped a bit because most of the tank is behind the trailer axle.
With that loaded and three people and a dog in the car the highway scale said we were at 1410 Kg on rear axle (1405 kg GAWR on the door plate)
It towed fine actually. No sway, good power. Easy really.
But we are cutting it pretty fine with tongue and axle weight.

What we want next year is to upgrade to the new 20 foot Basecamp X trailer, but that is going to be maxed at 4400# fully loaded with a tongue weight of 500# for the regular basecamp and 530# for the X version. Based on my experience with the 16 footer we are definitely going to end up over tongue and likely axle unless super careful packing.

The OEM hitch and user manual do not say anything about two ratings for the hitch/car for using a WDH, so I assume that's a non-starter for us to increase capacity - agree?
And without a second rating my hitch installer here says they won't sell me a WDH anyway.

Does anyone know if you can install another hitch with a higher rating say 6000#/600# tongue on the Honda Pilot?

Any other options you see besides a new TV for the new trailer?
Mike
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

With three occupants you max tow load is reduced to 4750 lbs. A class 4 hitch will not resolve the weight issue. It is not based on the hitch, rather on what the vehicle can safely handle. A WDH is also not going change the fact that you are pulling close to or over the recommended weight. All it will do is lighten the tongue load at the expense of the rear axel on the trailer. That still will not relieve the added strain you would be placing on the engine or the transmission.

If you plan to move up to a larger trailer (heavier trailer) then you need to consider a different vehicle that is rated to pull the load. Most people that pull trailers like to have about a 20% margin on the weight they pull to relieve the strain on the vehicle.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
One thing you might want to consider is a Weigh Safe receiver and ball. Far more accurate than a bathroom scale. I have the 2 1/2 version for my towing vehicle with a 6" drop. It makes balancing a load much easier. If you haven't I would strongly suggest that you load up the vehicle with the family, the gear they take with them and the trailer loaded as you normally do and go to a public scale and weight the entire rig. That way you will get an accurate weight of what you are actually pulling. It has been my experience that most people tend to under estimate the weight of the gear they take along as well as the actual weight of what they are towing.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Sounds like you need to upgrade your tow vehicle... or exceed the owner's manual at your own risk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I am going to get the Weigh safe receiver. But I'll be looking for a new TV as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts

WDH will not increase your towing capacity.

The 5000/500 is limited by the vehicle (GVWR, rear GAWR). The tiny rear axles on a FWD-based cannot handle more weight.

Unfortunately it looks like either a different TV or a different TT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts