Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After clearing out our little nest of chicks, we finally can get back to some camping and travel.
We purchased a 2018 Palomini trailer and have pulled her on a few short trips to the lake.
Just wondering how the 2015 Pilot SE would do "piloting" through the Canadian Rockies this coming summer?

One concern I have is the 3 - 4k rpm on the highway and reduced gas mileage.
Am I causing excessive wear and tear on the transmission and power-train?

Anyone with some previous experiences...?

thanks

IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG

·
Registered
06 honda pilot
3 Posts
nice im thinking of getting one next year about that same size tow with my 06 pilot

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well I missed this one originally...

As long as you are within the weight capacities of your Pilot you will be fine. I would ensure your fluids are in excellent condition (brakes too) and have all of the safety measures in place and properly adjusted.

As far as towing in the mountains... it's not a race and you don't have the most powerful vehicle, don't hesitate to slow down a little bit to make it easier on the Pilot. Especially on the downhill sections, I'd come off of those crests going pretty slow and really be careful with the brakes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't forget to check your tires for their maximum weight rating (car + passengers + items + trailer tongue weight).

The last thing you want, is a 'blow-out' while towing at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you folks for the great advise.
I'll have to re-post with some answers to my own questions following our trip this summer.

Hopefully we survive to tell our tale..... Hate to say it but I've been looking at some Ford F-150's

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Hate to say it but I've been looking at some Ford F-150's
But then how will you ever be able to find your vehicle in Saskatoon Walmart parking lot? :p

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Thank you folks for the great advise.
I'll have to re-post with some answers to my own questions following our trip this summer.

Hopefully we survive to tell our tale..... Hate to say it but I've been looking at some Ford F-150's
It's a much more comfortable experience when you have way more truck than you need for what you are towing. Especially through the Rockies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Impressive trailer you got there. How's the experience so far?
Yeah..hope we will be able to get some traveling in this summer.

We just did a couple of short trips in the fall to the lake. Only an hour's drive or so. I figured the math out correctly GVW and all the bla bla stuff. Noted... vehicle rpm 3 - 4.5k on a FLAT PRAIRIE and it sucks the gas!!

Actual towing with vehicles passing and cross winds was fine. Also, note to self... travel with ALL the tanks EMPTY!!!
Live and learn.

I noted a suggestion somewhere that using premium gas helps with the mileage?...?

thank you for your interest.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I noted a suggestion somewhere that using premium gas helps with the mileage
Not sure about that suggestion as other sources state the use of premium fuels in engines designed to run on regular just costs you more with little to no benefit.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,920 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how the myth that premium provides more power keeps going around. Fact is, premium provides no increase in power. Premium can stand up to higher compression before it detonates than regular which is important to minimize pre ignition issues in high compression engines.

To get the most power out of the Honda motor just use the specified fuel grade with no ethanol blended in if at all possible.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how the myth that premium provides more power keeps going around. Fact is, premium provides no increase in power. Premium can stand up to higher compression before it detonates than regular which is important to minimize pre ignition issues in high compression engines.

To get the most power out of the Honda motor just use the specified fuel grade with no ethanol blended in if at all possible.
The truth does bear repeating, from time to time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts