Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the towing capacity is at least 4400, no problems at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
WOW, Now that's a big boat. How long? How far did you have to tow it?

We just got back from towing our old 1981 Honda from Phoenix to Iowa. It went fine. I couldn't even tell it was behind us, until I made very tight turns. I believe the towbar setup we used made the car turn sharper than the Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to far, just few miles, from My Marina to the service Marnia. It's a 22 Foot SeaRay weighing about 4400lbs on the trailer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
you towed a rwd drive car like that?...

...i thought you're supposed to keep the drivewheels off the pavement..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: you towed a rwd drive car like that?...

theman said:
...i thought you're supposed to keep the drivewheels off the pavement..
Where did you hear that?:rolleyes:

As long as the tranny is in neutral and the key is in the accessory position to allow the steering wheel to move, then there's no problem.

How would free rotation on the rera wheels be more harmful than the actual torque of the rear wheels by driving???

Most folks who make comments like this have NO CLUE on what they are talking about. I actually had someone tell me that the Owner's Manual stated to only flatbed the car and this is True only because Honda is in fear of the rear tailpipes being clipped. Nothing to do with the drivetrain.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
what does your owners manual say about towing a rwd car?..

...i may be wrong but i also own a rwd car (240SX) and it says to raise the drivewheels upon towing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Re: you towed a rwd drive car like that?...

airgate said:

As long as the tranny is in neutral and the key is in the accessory position to allow the steering wheel to move, then there's no problem.

Not true. Many rear wheel drive vehicles can't be towed this way. Even some manual transmissions have oil pumps driven by the input shaft, no engine running = no lube. In fact a quick check of some major tow dolly manufacturers shows they *insist* the driveshaft be disconnected if towing a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Al

·
Registered
385 Posts
airgate said:
I could care less what "other" cars require.
That has been made apparent. Off to the control panel I go.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thread Name Change

We Should change it to "How to Tow a Rear Drive Car" :2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
My dad has been towing cars behind his motohome for at least twenty years now. The first thing he does is check the owner's manual. Different manufacturers approach the issue of towing cars differently. Don't ASSUME some standard rule applies to all vehicles, because there isn't one! Check your manual before you tow it.:1pat:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts