Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to tow a pop up that has a 1600lb dry weight and 200 lb tongue weight along with some bikes, on my 2017 Honda Pilot Elite, which now can tow 5000 lbs.

I was wondering if I can use this

I was worried about the tongue weight and the fact that the camper will be further from the Pilot.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Nanewnanew

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
If your weight is within the limits stated in the owner's manual, I see no reason why you couldn't use this type of hitch receiver for the bikes. After your loaded, just make sure your tire pressure is just high enough to keep the sidewalls off the pavement. Are you on factory tires?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd like to tow a pop up that has a 1600lb dry weight and 200 lb tongue weight along with some bikes, on my 2017 Honda Pilot Elite, which now can tow 5000 lbs.

I was wondering if I can use this

I was worried about the tongue weight and the fact that the camper will be further from the Pilot.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Nanewnanew

You'll be fine, its a class three with a 750 load. I used the same one on my Ridgeline towing a 4500lb boat and trailer and three bikes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be fine, its a class three with a 750 load. I used the same one on my Ridgeline towing a 4500lb boat and trailer and three bikes
Good to know. The manufacturers of the hitch state that it reduces the towing capacity by 50%. Seems extreme. Does that mean I'm down from 5000 to 2500? And the camper specs state the hitch weight is 200 lbs. Do I add this to the loaded camper weight (let's say it's 2000), and then rack on about 100 lbs of bikes to get 2000+200+100=2300, which is below the 2500? Why is the tow capacity reduced by 50%?
Finally, tongue weight. Do you actually measure it, on a scale for example?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your weight is within the limits stated in the owner's manual, I see no reason why you couldn't use this type of hitch receiver for the bikes. After your loaded, just make sure your tire pressure is just high enough to keep the sidewalls off the pavement. Are you on factory tires?
Yes factory tires (I think).

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Yes factory tires (I think).
The Continental tire the Elite came with were a 51 max psi tire. After loaded, if my sidewalls were sagging, I'd feel comfortable adding a few extra pounds of air to the rear. I'd hope not to exceed (38 cold) 44psi hot. I'd monitor the tire pressures.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Good to know. The manufacturers of the hitch state that it reduces the towing capacity by 50%. Seems extreme. Does that mean I'm down from 5000 to 2500? And the camper specs state the hitch weight is 200 lbs. Do I add this to the loaded camper weight (let's say it's 2000), and then rack on about 100 lbs of bikes to get 2000+200+100=2300, which is below the 2500? Why is the tow capacity reduced by 50%?
Finally, tongue weight. Do you actually measure it, on a scale for example?
Tongue weight is usually 10% of the trailer weight so 200lbs tongue for a 2000lb trailer seems correct. Your towing capacity is reduced because the hitch is now extended away from the vehicle when you are using the bike rack and also its total weight + bikes would be on the tongue. The factory hitch has a 500lb tongue weight limit and a 5000lb towing limit if you have the trans cooler so you should be ok. A better setup IMO would be a bike rack on the back of the trailer if that is possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tongue weight is usually 10% of the trailer weight so 200lbs tongue for a 2000lb trailer seems correct. Your towing capacity is reduced because the hitch is now extended away from the vehicle when you are using the bike rack and also its total weight + bikes would be on the tongue. The factory hitch has a 500lb tongue weight limit and a 5000lb towing limit if you have the trans cooler so you should be ok. A better setup IMO would be a bike rack on the back of the trailer if that is possible.
Okay thanks that makes sense. A longer arm increases the torque so the mass has to be reduced to compensate. Give me a fulcrum point and a long enough lever and I can lift the world!
I talked to somebody about bikes on the back of the trailer and he said the problem is the weak pop up frame won't support it well.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
I used to tow a pop up, with a bike rack on the roof of the pop up. Worked OK.
if you mount the rack to the frame/bumper/pop up - however- just do it right. That should work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts