Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Pilot Elite. I plan to buy a travel trailer and am seeking advise from those who have towed with a Pilot. My Pilot has a factory installed hitch and I am having the transmission cooler installed. Any advise on towing and or cautions?? Thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check door sticker for max payload. Think my 17 Pilot Elite stated 1173 lbs. Just be sure payload (passengers & gear, + hitch (if weight distributing) + trailer tongue weight) don’t exceed max payload. Also doesn’t Honda state 5000lb max trailer weigh with trans cooler?
Search forums on towing, do your own homework on trailers, weights, hitches etc.
Trailer/camper Sales folks will tell you anything to make that sale.
You may want to invest in a transmission temp gauge as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Set up your WDH properly, hit the scales after you've got everything loaded down so you know if you need to adjust anything or leave anything behind. TAKE YOUR TIME, way too many people haul ass with their trailers attached, I don't trust trailer tires. Be ready for some high RPM action, the engine needs to rev to make torque and it will gladly do it.

Otherwise, have fun! I haven't towed real heavy with ours and don't plan to, but it pulls my little 2,000 lb trailer around with no issue.

Post a link to the trailer you are buying!

·
Administrator
15,526 Posts
Trailer brake controller hopefully is on your shopping list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check door sticker for max payload. Think my 17 Pilot Elite stated 1173 lbs. Just be sure payload (passengers & gear, + hitch (if weight distributing) + trailer tongue weight) don’t exceed max payload. Also doesn’t Honda state 5000lb max trailer weigh with trans cooler?
Search forums on towing, do your own homework on trailers, weights, hitches etc.
Trailer/camper Sales folks will tell you anything to make that sale.
You may want to invest in a transmission temp gauge as well.

Good luck.
Thank you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Trailer type and weight? Are you all wheel drive or front wheel drive? Flatter areas or mountains? Your towing experience level? Electric break controller. extended mirrors. remote tire pressure monitor for trailer wheels. anti sway device.

e-trailer.com has lots of info and articles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! We plan a big trip out west after a few flat-land trips. Plan to keep all loads within limits (trailer ~3000 dry, brakes, trans cooler installed).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make Sure you have a transmission cooler installed, know folks who have had transmission problems towing with a Pilot, they can overheat easily when towing a square box in back of you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As asked above, AWD or FWD? Link to trailer? Remember that it will weigh a lot more when loaded and ready for camping.

I do a lot of towing with my 2018 AWD EX, and the first thing after installing hitch and cooler was my ScanGageII. You can get always-on readings for both engine coolant and transmission oil temps -- highly recommended.

If buying a used trailer consider replacing the tires -- trailer tires age out, not wear out. Here's a photo from my 2000 mile trip last week -- the boat trailer tires looked fine but were 12 years old.

Attachments

Reactions: JimB

·
Registered
15 Posts
As asked above, AWD or FWD? Link to trailer? Remember that it will weigh a lot more when loaded and ready for camping.

I do a lot of towing with my 2018 AWD EX, and the first thing after installing hitch and cooler was my ScanGageII. You can get always-on readings for both engine coolant and transmission oil temps -- highly recommended.

If buying a used trailer consider replacing the tires -- trailer tires age out, not wear out. Here's a photo from my 2000 mile trip last week -- the boat trailer tires looked fine but were 12 years old.
When using a scan tool, is there a rule of thumb to know what temperatures are too high for transmission and coolant on a Pilot? I'm sure it varies based on what is being towed, but I honestly wouldn't have any idea when I should be concerned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts