Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I have a 2008 Honda Pilot 4WD. It has the full towing package and it's towing is rated at 4500 pounds. My boat is about 3100 pounds all in. Little gear in the Honda and 2 passengers for my trips. The vehicle is in great shape. Well maintained.

I have towed this boat a few times and it seems fine.

There is one hill I will have to navigate this summer though for the first time (picking my boat up from storage soon) and with my vivid imagination it's causing me some lost sleep! The hill is just over 1 mile (1KM) long and rises roughly 300 feet (90 meters) from the lake to the top of the hill. People do tow frequently up and down this hill, it's a popular spot.
There isn't a whole lot of room to gun it up the hill as it starts to rise at the lake.

I am just wondering two things,

1) Does this sound like a big deal to climb this hill with the boat? ( I have visions of rolling back down the hill and wiping out a family!)

2) What gear should I use going up the hill and going down the hill?

Curious, if I use D3, will is shift gears from 1 to 3 or just stay in 3? Same for D2?

Really appreciate any thoughts!

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Have you done this hill before?
1.6K. Take it easy, you'll be fine. What's the speed limit on it going up? Using D3, etc. shouldn't really matter going up hill. that just keeps it out of the higher overdrive gears?
Use D2 or D3, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I envision that you may end up going slow, but not rolling backwards. Hope your running with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you The Todd, appreciate the speedy response. I haven't done this hill before with this boat, Honda combination. I don't think there is a speed limit, if you can make it up the hill you can go as fast as you want!

You've towed a lot with your '08?

Glenn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda services my vehicle, I know they put oil in it for sure! , but not sure what kind. Will put premium gas in though.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Thank you The Todd, appreciate the speedy response. I haven't done this hill before with this boat, Honda combination. I don't think there is a speed limit, if you can make it up the hill you can go as fast as you want!

You've towed a lot with your '08?

Glenn
I've towed a lot, not with my 08 Pilot though. I've put a 4 bicycle carrier in the rear trailer hitch on the 08 though, does that count? LOL With my Personal vehicles I've towed mostly sailboats and fishing boats with my V8 Dodge Truck- w/ the trailer towing package.

Honda services my vehicle, I know they put oil in it for sure! , but not sure what kind. Will put premium gas in though.
I know the manual recommends premium gas for towing. I feel that it's really to possibly keep it from pre detonating. I know it has a knock sensor that can/should change the timing too if 'knocking'?

You'll be fine.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Is there something special about that oil Nail Grease that would make a difference?
It's been reported by some users that Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife helped their transmission run cooler.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
No concern to me... take your time and listen to the Pilot, you'll feel at what speed it stops being happy.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can't imagine the hill is steeper than any normal boat ramp you put in at, and you've never had problems pulling a boat out right? You'll be fine. Trust the Pilot!!

--Chris N.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Hey Gang,

I have a 2008 Honda Pilot 4WD. It has the full towing package and it's towing is rated at 4500 pounds. My boat is about 3100 pounds all in. Little gear in the Honda and 2 passengers for my trips. The vehicle is in great shape. Well maintained.

I have towed this boat a few times and it seems fine.

There is one hill I will have to navigate this summer though for the first time (picking my boat up from storage soon) and with my vivid imagination it's causing me some lost sleep! The hill is just over 1 mile (1KM) long and rises roughly 300 feet (90 meters) from the lake to the top of the hill. People do tow frequently up and down this hill, it's a popular spot.
There isn't a whole lot of room to gun it up the hill as it starts to rise at the lake.

I am just wondering two things,

1) Does this sound like a big deal to climb this hill with the boat? ( I have visions of rolling back down the hill and wiping out a family!)

2) What gear should I use going up the hill and going down the hill?

Curious, if I use D3, will is shift gears from 1 to 3 or just stay in 3? Same for D2?

Really appreciate any thoughts!

Thank you, Glenn
The answer to the first question is Yes, No, Maybe. While that sounds flippant it is not meant to be. People always talk about the Tow rating without knowing what the tow rating is for them, their vehicle and situation. It is not a magic number for everyone. I suspect that this 3100 lb boat is not for your exclusive use. I suspect that there maybe a spouse and a kid or few that also go along for the boating adventure. Pay attention to the diminishing rating as the number of occupants goes up. It is also affected by the weight of the gear in the vehicle as well.

As to the second question. D3 is the place to start. The vehicle will tell you if you need to shift to a lower gear. Take your time when towing. People who tow and are always in a rush eventually learn that the only real rush they were in was to repair/replace a transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the positive comments. All very helpful! Typically just two... maybe three for the fishing trips, but my daughters have already claimed the boat once it's in the marina's slip! They are on their own! I have noted the gross weight when calculating a tow. Appreciate the chart.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Hmmm... will check into that oil. Thank you.
Note that he's referring to transmission fluid, not motor oil.
He has grave concerns about the Honda transmission fluid apparently not being a fully synthetic product and he will miss no opportunity to tell the world about it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Note that he's referring to transmission fluid, not motor oil.
He has grave concerns about the Honda transmission fluid apparently not being a fully synthetic product and he will miss no opportunity to tell the world it.
Hang on a moment while the glass jar of DW black molasses makes its reappearance.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Hang on a moment while the glass jar of DW black molasses makes its reappearance.
Is that the one from the vehicle that was bought used, with no information about how it was previously driven or maintained?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts